22x47Lapua?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by eddybo, Nov 27, 2007.

1. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

I was thinking about building a fast twist 22 to shoot the 90 grainers. I have had great sucess with the 6x47 and 6.5x47 so the idea peaked my interest. I guess it would be similar to the 22/243 with just a tad less capacity, but I would get to use small primers which I like.

Anybody tried it?
    Who makes the best fast twist .22 barrels?
    Should I just go another direction like a 22BR or 22PPC or even straight 220 Russian?
    Can anyone talk me out of having more rifles built?

2. 1kstr

1kstr Well-Known Member

Ed:
    Can't talk you out of it. It is just right to do it.
    1kstr

3. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fun little gun. But it probably won't outdo your 6x47L ballistically. The 22br fast twist would be another good one. I think Reed has got one and loves it. Maybe Varmint Hunter too? Can't remember.

I have a Shilen .22 8" twist that has sure been a good barrel.

4. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

Okay since no one even tried to talk me out it ...thanks.
    It s time to get parts ordered. Shilen gets the nod for the barrel. I wishing I had gone out for the shilen yard sale now. I have access to a predator that will work, going with another robertson composit stock a little quicker than macmillan and IMO almost as good. Although when I talked with Shilen this morning they are 17 weeks out on savage replacements so time might matter if they are also that far behind on blanks. I will check and see.

Someone said I need a 7.5 twist? 8 or 7.5? Whats the heaviest .22s out there?

5. brianwinzor

brianwinzor Well-Known Member

Personally I would choose either a 7.5 or 7.7 twist for use with the 90 grain bullets. An 8 twist might work ok with the shorter Sierra 90 grain MK (1.165 in) if they hold together, but some have found that it is insuffucient to get good accuracy with longer JLK (1.233) and Berger 90 grain bullets.

There has also been some debate on whether 6 or 8 groove barrels are kinder on the thin J4 jackets, but I havent yet used either to be able offer an opinion.

My .224 Clark has a Krieger 26 inch 6.5 twist, 4 groove barrel, and it is still work in progress. The 100 grain Wildcat ULD (1.300) and 105 grain Little HPBT (1.305) which were both built using J4 jackets, came apart at velocities above 2800 fps. The 80 grain Sierra MK came apart at about 3450 -3500fps.

Garry Little a local Oz custom bullet maker then made a variety of 85 - 110 grain bullets for me to try that were made on 257 and 277 cal jackets, and they all held together at maximum pressure velocities. However, they were made with a 6 cal ogive die, which was less than ideal.

Subsequently, Garry made some 10 ogive 100 grain HPBT's (1.250) using a 25 cal J4 jacket with a soldered core, and these have held together at velocities up to my maximum pressure load (56.0/H870) of 3,220. I am now testing to see what accuracy can be obtained with them at ranges out to at least 600 yards.

I believe that a 7.0 to 7.5 twist barrel would probably be sufficient to stabilise these bullets, so my 6.5 twist is adding to the stress on jackets. However, when I ordered the barrel I was expecting to be using the Wildcat 107 ULD which was 1.350 inches in length, but that didn't occur.

Hope that the above is of some help. Brian.

6. Hammer47

Hammer47 Well-Known Member

???

Sounds like enough overbore to erode the bbl out QUICK.

7. Mntngoat

Mntngoat Member

A fellow shooter out her in Kali has done it. I have a fast twist barrel ready to d o it once my .20 x 47 Lapua eats the throat of the barrel. I have some info on it if your interested.
    Michael

8. Wild_Bill

Wild_Bill Well-Known Member

Twist

Hi I have a 6.8 twist barrel I first chambered in 223 then rechambered it to 22-250AI. The fast twist was awsome with the 223 but I blew up the 90's in the 22-250AI. The 80's were fine in both.

If the barrel is a true 8 twist then the 90gr Sierra's will work

Get the twist that is closest to 8 without going past it so anythhing from 7.5 to 8 with the closer to 8 the best.

Cheers Bill
    Australia

9. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

Eddybo , your right it sure does sound like a sweet little round for a fast twist 22.
    I'm pretty much dead set on the 6x47 for the little model Seven I have comming but the 243Ackley is an old friend of mine and as you have found out can be a pretty accurate round way out their , it may come down to a coin toss right up till the reamer gets run in their !!

i realy enjoy getting to pick Mr Don's brain a bit each time I go up their , I think that I'm gonna let him fit up a barrel for me especaily seeing that he has aboth a good proven 6x47 and 243Ai reamer on hand

I found my wallet , it had fallen out of my locker this morning at the gym and was turned in to the front desk minus $60+ but thats to be expected these days I'm just glad to have it back. BUT , I managed to fracture the speed limit a wee bit on the ride home and of course Mr.Trooper diden't believe "I must have left it in my other pants" so after a 20 min wait on the side of I-12 he gave me a ticket and sent me on my way.
    Next trip up to Independence lunch is on me.

10. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

James,
    Let me know when your headed back I will try and be there.

That darn ackley got me in a little trouble today....stay away from it. It made me confident enough to try out the 115 dtac at 488 on a deer I thought was old enough. I will have to age him but ground shrinkage tells me he is 3.5 rather the 5.5 I first thought. But it was his fault too, he didnt give me enough time to judge him very well.
    I am still proud of him as its my first semi long range whitetail. I have had enough confidence to bust pigs and varmits further, but have let the deer walk. The 115 worked well. Double lunged him and he only went 30 yards. The bullet hit w/n 1/2 inch of my point of aim, I am kinda hyped about it.

[​IMG]

11. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

Info....heck I am hunting a reamer I can get w/n 2 weeks. Actually I would love any info you would share. My barrel will be here w/n a couple of weeks and I already have the action stock and trigger. Ask your fellow shooter if he would rent/loan his reamer to Don Geraci to do a barrel. Mr. Don is very competent and would not damage it and would return it promptly. If he will not ask him if he would sell it.

12. Cheyenne19

Cheyenne19 Well-Known Member

Any update on this project? How would the barrel life compare to a 22-243AI?

13. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

Cheyenne19,
    I havent updated this beacuse I forgot about this post. I guess I got hyped up over some other stuff. I have fired the gun less than 60 times....which is sad because it is sweet. Built it on a stiller predator in a robinson composits hunter class stock (color is limp but kinda grows on ya) went with the 8 twist schillen in a sendero contour and topped it with my usual vx3 LR. Shot a couple of 100 yard .2s during break in, and one pretty good group at 740. I took a picture of the gong when I shot the group, will see if I can find it and post it along with pics of the gun, but I am pretty beat. Had an early morning because of a match and just got home a while ago. I only formed 5 pieces of brass for barrel break in they have help up well thus far. I got sidetracked with other projects hopefully I will get back on this one soon.