22LR Max Distance Fun

Thanks again to all. I've got a Super Sniper 20x scope laying around and I just ordered a tapered picatinney rail for the 10/22. Should be interesting. Thanks, Tom

we have 200yd rimfire matches at the club i belong to,good challange especially when there is a wind and mirage.

i also have cci ammo that warns dangerous to 1 1/2 mile but i think that would be aiming at a 45* angle so hitting anything at a half a mile with a 22lr would be a miracle, or some sort of steel tipped bullet aiming at the worlds most powerfull magnet. or maybe some sort of deal with the devil. considering that the longest range snipe shot was over 1 1/2 miles by a canadian sniper with a .50 cal in afghanistan i dont think a .22 will reliably hit and penitrate flesh past 200 yds, im sure it would bust a can or a bottle but not a leather jacket gun)

If that were a .45 traveling at those speeds I don't think it would do the same thing. It is kinda odd that .22 will kill pigs easily, but a 9mm luger will just make them mad.

its a matter of velocity i read somewhere that a baseball at 100mph has the same energy in ft lb(F) as a 22lr round now a baseball from 30 yds at 100mph
will hurt like hell any probably break some ribs but you'll live a 22 with the same 300ftlb of energy (this is an example so please dont tell me the energy of your rounds) will kill you at the same distance.

A 9mm or .45 are big and slow at extended ranges even out of a carbine lke the beretta CX4 are too slow and big to do the damage that the fast little .22 will do by penetrating then pinballing around your ribcage. it makes sense,
water when your doin 50 knots feels like cement when you hit it so the squishy soft flesh of a big fat pig will do the same thing,Basically the tissue cant get out of the way fast enough and the bullet dont penetrate. compare it to a belly flop VS. a propper dive. when you bellyflop into water you may sink a foot or two but when you dive you can penetrate to the bottom of the pool maybe even hit it, Think of a 45 like someone bellyflopping, it'll knock the wind out of you but you dont sink, and diving is the .22lr itll slice through the water,and disrupt much deeper water than the belly flop. now replace water with tissue and think about that.

A 45 caliber slug at very modest velocities will go into stuff. I shot my 45-70 with 405 grain bullets at 900 fps, and at 500 yards it penetrated a milk jug easily.

I was referring to a 9mm at close range. At close distances the velocity of the 9mm and the 22lr are near identical. I do believe that it is a matter of penetration as to why the 9 won't kill a pig hit in the head (i am sure it would do it w/ a perfect broadside shot). Even with ball ammo (to limit expansion...although I am pretty sure it flattens out on impact) the 9mm will not penetrate the skull of the pig (for that matter I have seen a .41 rem do the same thing the 9mm did).

I think hardened lead bullets may be enough to penetrate the skull with a 9mm.

If the .22 and the 9mm were using non-expanding/deforming wadcutter bullets the frontal area of the 9mm vs .22 is nearly 3 times the size ( .100 sq in vs. .038 sq in).

Pigs are the only thing I have shot with a .22, with the exception of some rabbits (<5) within 25 yards, so this is the only thing I can use as a reference.

Mr kemp. yes well when you find the very rare and elusive milk jug whitetail deer let me know.
and a 45-70 is a rifle cartrige yes? so id hope it would go through a milk jug

and yes it is a matter of penetration. you can stick a pencil through drywall with relative ease now with the same force try and stick you index finger through the same drywall, and youll probably break it.and barely leave a mark

personally id rather be sure to puch a hole in something with a smaller round rather than try to shoot a projectile 3 times the size and not make it through

a real world example of this is...
when i was about 8 or 9 my nieghbors cat was killed by a racoon so he puts some bait out(cat food) and waits with his baretta, he shoots a racoon right between the eyes and it just got angry and took off so he grabs his ruger .22 and drops it with one shot right behind the ear. still in the skull probably not as thick as the forehead but still solid bone. i dont know if it would have gone through the spot where the 9mm landed, but it seems to prove the point. :D

There's a group of shooters at my gun club that hold 200 yard small silhouette matches twice a month with .22LR. Seems to be a lot of fun. They use open sights, aperture sights and scopes. Shooting sticks are allowed from 100 to 200 yards with the 50 yard being offhand. I've plinked with my .22s at 100 yards, but generally grab one of my 17HMRs for anything beyond that. I don't hunt with my .22LR for anything beyond 100 yards. Too inconsistent for a clean kill. No need to really since I won a couple of .22WMRs and a couple of .17HMRs.

i dont think a .22 will reliably hit and penitrate flesh past 200 yds, im sure it would bust a can or a bottle but not a leather jacket gun)

I don't know, I have a off the shelf savage .22lr semi-auto, that I shot cheap fed 40gr bullets at 360yds. I was aiming at a 6x10inch steel plate that was sitting on top of 2 cinder blocks, I was able to hit the plate half of the time and hit the cinder blocks a few times too. 3 of the bullets were still stuck in the cinder block about a 1/8th of an inch deep. I wouldn't want to be hit by any of them? Now maybe a thick leather jacket, but still wouldn't want to try it.:D On the other hand my brother has a marlin 925m .22mag, and one of the bullets just knocked the plate over! Were talking about a 2inch thick by 6wx10h it is very heavy! .22mag has much more power.

I have an old marlin with 3-9 bushnell and shoot it just for fun at 50-100 yards she does pretty good, go to 200 yards with a liitle wind and it goes to poop and that's ok it's just for fun...and cheap.

I get 10 inches metal disk at 300 yards 8 out of 10 shot with this rifle
IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

the picatinny has a 20 MOA
the night force 3-15x50 has a NPR-1 reticle which help's for elevation
the rear ring has a bubble for canting...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.