.224 Varmint Grenade

slickdog

I am just starting to try to work up loads for the Barnes 50gr Varmint Grenade. Does anyone have any data/recommendtions. I will be shooting a Cooper Model 21 Varmint, 1:14 twist. Would appreciate any info. thanks

Hey slickdog

Here in the lead free portion of CA, we've found, as did Barnes, that the 50gn Varmint Grenades won't work in a 14 twist. Barnes even says so on the box and in the manual. Barnes recommends that they be used in a in a 9 twist or tighter. Save them for your AR. If you check the length of the 50gr Grenade, I think you will find it as long or longer than the 70 gr lead bullets

The 36gr Grenades have not been at all impressive in the slower twist barrels. A 14 twist was only marginally acceptable and the 12 twist in a Howa/Vanguard proved satisfactory though not exceptional. It seems that TAC in the .223 and W748 in the .222 gave the best results.

A final observation. When contact is made with the pesky ground squirrel, the results are deadly but unimpressive. They lack the technicolor of more explosive projectiles and as such limits the joviality of the hunt.:rolleyes:

If your required to use lead free ammo, or just want to, we're finding the Speer TNT Green and the Nosler Lead Free Ballistic Tip are giving much better results.

Wild Pete

Last edited:
26 gr. of Hogdon Benchmark is the ticket for my AR. It's a Stag 1in9 24"Bull. That combo is a ragged hole at 100 yds, and covered by a quarter on the 200 yd range. Have yet to see how they do on a coyote, but the video I saw on the gel block they shot showed they fragment like a grenade in the first 8-10 inches of thre block? Hope there is no exit, or it could be ugly. My rifle also likes the 50gr. V Maxes with that sme powder? Good luck.gun)

i use 28 gr benchmark with the 36 gr grenade, 3 shot ragged hole with a vanguard at 100 yards, 3990 fps, but after about 175 yards they are worthless.

I agree smoked. We were having a terrible time making contact at medium to extended ranges. I usually blame my self for my incompetence as most often the equipment is far better than the operator. (ME):D I'm relieved to hear that someone else was having the same experience.lightbulb

Wild Pete

Hey guys, wondering if youve had the chance to play with seating depth? i've found that my rifle likes em long. I think that my gunsmith may have over reamed my chamber as my nosler 60gr btbt fit really nice at coal of 2.32. thats pretty much on the lands. what im wondering is would the varmint grenade benefit from reduced bullet jump or freebore?

I have a couple powders that need using so im hoping to find a load that uses either benchmark or imr 4198. i usually have rl15 on hand but ran out. plus i think its better suited for heavier bullets.

would appreciate the input

the first batch or varmint grenades i used the 2.117 recomended and was not impressed. hope i can get a good load going

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.