.224 caliber 62gr tracers anyone?

TheDeicide

I bought some 62 gr tracer pulled bullets from midway to tinker with in a 22-250 for fun. I can't find any information on loading them up, and they are considerably longer than anything I have seen in that caliber/weight combination. Do any of you know where I can find information about it?

Shootin 62 grain tracers out of the 22-250 falls into the hold my beer and watch this catigory so please heed the warnings before proceedeing
#1 They can and WILL start fires
#2 They are full metel jackets,They can and will skip and penitrate= Have a very good backstop!
#3 The reloading info you find is likely to be defeloped by someone as crazy or crazier than you so procede with extreeme caution!

With that said a hot burning stick powder usually works best to melt the back cap off and ignite the tracing compound. My old Lyman 46 book list a load for the 63jsp with IMR3031 powder starting at 29grains and going to 35.5 grains. my notes under it says 31 grains lit the tracers just fine:D

If your 22-250 is a 12 or14 twist your in for treat....They will not stableize but will show you what not enough twist can do to a bullet= They will tailwalk bad enough to easily see it...Even more fun is this bullet in a slower .224 cailibar with a slow twist.

Well I have a 1-14 twist in mine. I have a great back stop and over 500 yards across the hill tops. I should get a good look at them at that range. It's the only good thing about the coal stripping operations leaving behind huge piles of shale/slate etc. They don't burn, and they leave a bigger splatter of debris so I can see holes from impact better.

The Decide,

In addition to the comments/warnings that MachV gave you (all valid, by the way), I'll add a little bit of history. The US military switch of their M16s/M4s from the old standard of 1x12" twists to the current 1x7" twist wasn't due to the switch to the current M855 62 grain ball bullet, but was needed specifically to stabilize the much longer (as you've already observed) 62 grain Tracer rounds. They're not going to work out of your 1x14", and will be tumbling big time shortly after they clear the muzzle.

One other word of warning; check your local/state ordinances. The possesion of tracer rounds in the state of California is a felony. One felony count for each round in your possesion. There may be (and probably are) some other states that follow that program, so check first. Believe me, that's a headache you don't need, or want.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.