.224 Allen Mag is almost here!!!!

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
To all,

I just received my Lilja 27" #6 1-7, 3 groove .224" barrel which was the final componant I was waiting for to put my first 224 Allen Mag together for range testing. Looks like it may get put together just in time for some yote hunting.

Here are the componants I will use in this rifle:

-Above mentioned Lilja SS barrel
-Fully prepped Rem 700 SA
-H-S Precision Varmint stock, Tan w/ black web
-Weaver 4.5-14 Tactical
-Possibly a H-S Precision DM 10 round system(for now a single shot, have to see what Santa picks off the list of goodies!!!)

I also was able to get some of the brand new 107 gr ULD RBBT from Wildcat Bullets while I was up hunting with Richard.

349584.jpg

These are, from left to right, 55 gr Hornady SP, 100 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat, 107 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat and the 6mm Berger 115 gr VLD for comparision.

For those that do not know, the 224 Allen Mag is based on the WSM case necked down to 224 and with the shoulder angle and case body configuration changed to the AM design.

This will be the most radical of all the current Allen Magnums to date and really is at this time an experiment to see just how far we can push the performance line.

Hopefully, if I have a good week in the shop I can get this rifle started this weekend after I get some customers projects going hard.

Will keep you posted.

Kirby Allen(50)

now thats what I am talking about!!!!!!!!

What kinda numbers are you gestimating?, you arent surely gonna be using a .338 lapua case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif?????

Kirby, The pictures of the 100 and 107 grain Wildcats is is getting me revved up in expectation of what you 224 AM, and also what my somewhat smaller .224 Clark will do with those ICBM's.

Are you still hoping to get around 3,500 fps with the 100 grain ULD? I note that those using the .25/300 WSM (or .270) easily get 3500 fps (and more) with the 100 grain bullet.(as you would expect)

This is not meant as a criticism, but one aspect of your rifle configuration puzzles me. You mention that you are going to use it in single shot mode until you can find another magazine. However, why did you choose a short action Rem 700, with its 2.800 inch magazine length restriction?

Surely a long action Rem 700 would have been a simpler option, as I estimate that the overall length will be about 3.120 with the 100 grain ULD seated to the base of the neck. (3.180 with the 107ULD)

Also, out of curiosity are you using a R700 action with WSM or RSAUM (.535 boltface), or is it possible to safely open up a standard .473 boltface to .535. Brian.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

#6 BBL?

Wondering about the long bearing surface(BS) those long bullets? May warm the bbl fairly rapidly....

Which powder or range of powders do you think will work?

Tracks44,

No Lapua here. I was originally going to use the Rem SAUM but I suspect those cases will get hard to find in not to many years. As such I went with the WSM as they are far more popular then the Rem short mags.

Kirby Allen(50)

Sewwhat89,

Any receiver that can be chambered for a belted magnum case head will work with the 224 AM.

I am not sure what the RP means in your post, please clearify before I respond, want to make sure we are talking about the same thing before I say yes or no.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Brian,

To be honest, I am hoping to get anything at 3400 fps or more. TO he honest, 3300 fps with these bullet would be retty **** impressive but I am hoping to break 3400 fps. To be honest, I have no idea what to really expect with this round and bullet combo, will be fun to see what happens.

I am using this receiver because it is sitting here in my shop fully accurized and ready to build on, thats it pure and simple. The throat on my 224 AM reamer is pretty short so I think it may still feed easily in the Rem 700, again, we will see. You are correct though, a Rem 700 LA would make things easier for a repeater but as I have this SA sitting here(and already paid for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), I will put her to use.

The receiver is a .470" bolt face receiver which is why I will get an H-S Precision DM system if I decide to go with a repeater.

Yes it is easy to open up a standard bolt face up to .535" and even .590" for that matter for my 7mm AM with the Lapua case head size. Will just fit a Sako extractor to the bolt.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Roy,

Yes, that has me a bit curious as well. There are alot of issues that may arrise with this little monster. It will surely be the most extreme of the Allen Mags to date, even more so then the 257 AM I am predicting.

I will start with my standard WC872 and possibly try 8700 or Ramshot Magnum if 872 proves to slow.

Again this is a 100% experimental idea to see if we can stub our toes on the performance limits. We will see here soon.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, your post does not say--is that 107 a .22 cal bullet. What is the length of the bearing surface? Is it longer than the 80 SRA? If so, might you not need a quicker twist? Not sure how much quicker one can get, though. Just my thinking as I read your post. FWIW Jim

Remington (Old school was Remington/Peters)

Just force of habit.

So you can open up a standard bolt face to the WSM bolt?

Kirby,
Will you be putting a Holland QD brake on that gun? I think a Kick Sissy like myself would want one.

Perhaps someday you could have an "Allen Mag" open house at the range in GF and folks could fly in and see (and shoot) the guns.

Sewwhat89,

Thanks exactly what I thought you were referring to with the RP but as a gunsmith I have learned long ago to make sure both parties are talking about the same thing to prevent any future problems.

Yes, it is a simple matter to open up a standard bolt face to that of a magnum bolt face and then machine a Sako extractor in the bolt.

Good Shooting!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.