223ai

It would just take a reamer to convert a standard 223 Rem chamber (28.8 grain) to 223 AI (31 grain). An adjustable gas block might be desirable as the gas impulse will be about 8% higher. You'd pick up about 4% velocity for the same chamber pressure. I don't know if there would be any feeding or extraction issues with the less tapered and 40 degree shoulder case.

Worth the effort? That's your choice.
I don't have one and not planning on it. If I wanted to shoot .224 bullets faster in an AR-15 I'd go with a 22PPC or 223 WSSM. Both can handle longer and lower drag bullets. Olympic Arms sells a 223 WSSM factory upper. More case capacity than a 22-250.

I own 2 .223AI's in bolt actions. Given the choice I would stay away from a .223AI in a AR set up due to feeding problems. About 1 in 10 in my bolt guns gets hung up.

Jon

I got one on a trade couple months back, haven't used it much. Shoots 80 and 90 grain bullets into little tiny groups. I fire it single shot for those bullets. Never had a jam with 69 or 73 gr bullets from the magazine, but have not shot many. Fireforms regular 223 loads beautifully into the AI shape.
This one is a Kreiger 6.5 twist in a machined upper with a side bolt handle.
I will sell reasonably or trade barrel or complete upper for a 204Ruger upper.
Mark

I have one with a 12 twist and it shoots 55 grain Sierra Blitz Kings into one raged hole at 100. Shot prairie dogs at 350 and they blew up ! Fields weren't long enough to get any longer shots that trip. I love mine and there's absolutely no feeding problems. It is a custom build by Insight Shooting Systems in Co. I promise you this is the truth; it shoots those 55s at 3600+ fps into those ragged holes! Yep, I've cronoed it. Yep, that's 22/250 velocities. I couldn't believe it either, but it's a fact! Oh, I do have a 26" barrel and again, with a 12 twist. It's awesome! Charles

I have one with a 12 twist and it shoots 55 grain Sierra Blitz Kings into one raged hole at 100. Shot prairie dogs at 350 and they blew up ! Fields weren't long enough to get any longer shots that trip. I love mine and there's absolutely no feeding problems. It is a custom build by Insight Shooting Systems in Co. I promise you this is the truth; it shoots those 55s at 3600+ fps into those ragged holes! Yep, I've cronoed it. Yep, that's 22/250 velocities. I couldn't believe it either, but it's a fact! Oh, I do have a 26" barrel and again, with a 12 twist. It's awesome! Charles

You're 150-200fps short of a 22-250 but respectable none the less! The 223 AI would be a lot of fun in a Bolt rifle. I'm surprised that you aren't having any feeding issues, good to know. Sountd like a sweet rig, you should post a pic for us. :)

Outlaw6, I do have pictures posted! All you need to do is read my article on this web site called "the black rifle comes of age". Humm, actually, I didn't show "wicked Wanda" in the article! Bummer. But the 20 TAC rifle looks very similar.....
And BTW, it's a hot 22/250 you're speaking about! :)

Outlaw6, I do have pictures posted! All you need to do is read my article on this web site called "the black rifle comes of age". Humm, actually, I didn't show "wicked Wanda" in the article! Bummer. But the 20 TAC rifle looks very similar.....
And BTW, it's a hot 22/250 you're speaking about! :)

Well crap! I missed that article somewhere... Nope, I was actually using published Hodgdon data for the velocity difference. My go to 22-250 load was a 40grn HP @ 4230fps.... sure makes for a messy close range coyote!
"Wicked Wanda!" That's one of the better names for a rifle I've ever heard:D What did you name the 20TAC?:rolleyes:

My .223 AI's get "close" to 22-250's but no cigar. I can load up 28.5 gr's of XBR in LC brass w/ Rem 7.5's all behind a 50gr SBK for 3750. Its on the hot side so I choose to run 28.0 grs for 3675 fps. Hornady's superperfomance 22-250 w/50gr v-max is stated at 4000 fps while their standard load is 3800 fps.

I don't run a 20 TAC, but do a 20 Prac for ease of use and $$. I run the 32gr Z-max's right at 4000 fps. I have been thinking about building up a .17/233 practical on AR platform but am afraid of how dirty she will get.

Woodnut - I am a little surprised that you don't have feeding problems with an AR based .223 AI since the shoulder is so sharp. I have talked with a few well know AR builders that just won't go down that route because of that issue.

Jon

Strombeckj, Sorry I took so long posting this. My builder is Lee Mosher of Insight Shooting systems in Colo. I don't have ANY feeding issues with the A.I. Lee is a superb builder and I highly recommend him!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts