223 varmit loads

wolfmanjrw

I am looking for 200 to300 yard varmit loads for coyote and groundhogs for my 223 mini 14 tactical Ruger. Anyone have an accurate and effective killing load for this?
progress.gif

I'm using Hornady 55-grain V-max (red-tip ballistic bullets) in my Savage .223 bolt-action Rifle and it does a great job on Coyotes,great knock down power and very little pelt/hide damage.I believe You can also get them in 35-40 grain bullets also....which will help them shoot faster and flatter!

There's lots of other good bullets out there on the market,these group very well in my Rifle and fit my needs!There are also Nosler Amagedon bullets and Federal has some really nice Varmint bullets,if You re-load I would reccomend looking into the Sierra bullets in the Game Kings,Match Kings and Blitz Kings.

^^^^ What he said. They shoot very well out of my RRA Coyote Carbine, and they knock the snot out of the yotes, even a marginally well placed shot will usually anchor em. Definately my favorite yote round.

I go the opposite route, I have seen to many "splats" occur with BT style bullets. On coyotes I stick with heavier jacketed bullets like HP's or SP's (non-varmint) Not sure what twist your ruger has but my 1:7 AR loves the berger 77gr's for yotes.

Jon

Does anybody use the 40gr Vmax?
Ive had good luck on accuracy with them. Even shot a deer in the front yard with one, High neck shot and blew the spine apart. I thought it was a 75gr until i pulled a bullet out of my magazine.
Ive loaded some to try on coyotes but havnt seen any yet.. :(

my choice is a 52 gr a-max with min charge. I found that varmint ball with standard or max charge don't match with fox. .. I do a lot of my hunting at night in pa. just my 2 cents

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.