223 varmit loads

Discussion in 'Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards' started by wolfmanjrw, Feb 23, 2013.

1. wolfmanjrw

wolfmanjrw Member

I am looking for 200 to300 yard varmit loads for coyote and groundhogs for my 223 mini 14 tactical Ruger. Anyone have an accurate and effective killing load for this?
    [​IMG]

2. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Well-Known Member

I'm using Hornady 55-grain V-max (red-tip ballistic bullets) in my Savage .223 bolt-action Rifle and it does a great job on Coyotes,great knock down power and very little pelt/hide damage.I believe You can also get them in 35-40 grain bullets also....which will help them shoot faster and flatter!

There's lots of other good bullets out there on the market,these group very well in my Rifle and fit my needs!There are also Nosler Amagedon bullets and Federal has some really nice Varmint bullets,if You re-load I would reccomend looking into the Sierra bullets in the Game Kings,Match Kings and Blitz Kings.

3. threejones

threejones Well-Known Member

^^^^ What he said. They shoot very well out of my RRA Coyote Carbine, and they knock the snot out of the yotes, even a marginally well placed shot will usually anchor em. Definately my favorite yote round.

4. strombeckj

strombeckj Well-Known Member

I go the opposite route, I have seen to many "splats" occur with BT style bullets. On coyotes I stick with heavier jacketed bullets like HP's or SP's (non-varmint) Not sure what twist your ruger has but my 1:7 AR loves the berger 77gr's for yotes.

Jon

5. joseph floerke

joseph floerke Well-Known Member

max load imr8208 with a nosler ballistic tip 55gr

6. varmintH8R

varmintH8R Well-Known Member

I use 60gr Vmaxs over a compressed max load of varget in an AR. Yotes fall over!

7. Gary Kaney

Gary Kaney Well-Known Member

Plus 1 on Varget and the 60 grn. V-Max

8. 7mmSendaro

7mmSendaro Well-Known Member

I prefer 50 grain Nosler BT with 26 grains of Varget. DRT......

9. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Well-Known Member

Does anybody use the 40gr Vmax?
    Ive had good luck on accuracy with them. Even shot a deer in the front yard with one, High neck shot and blew the spine apart. I thought it was a 75gr until i pulled a bullet out of my magazine.
    Ive loaded some to try on coyotes but havnt seen any yet.. :(

10. patience

patience Well-Known Member

In my .222. they'll do the job. accuracy may require some load testing in the .223.

11. Basher762

Basher762 New Member

my choice is a 52 gr a-max with min charge. I found that varmint ball with standard or max charge don't match with fox. .. I do a lot of my hunting at night in pa. just my 2 cents