.223 varmint bullet, 1-9 twist, will it fail?

5 shot 1" group at 100 with a 9" twist dpms 5.56 top end. (75 gr bullets)
They track well out as far as I've gone, but I haven't put on paper past 100.

I don't doubt it. All(most all) barrels are not created the same.

Like I said, you have to find a rd that your gun performs the best with.

Funny! Seriously, he's right. Both my father and I have taken deer wounded with a 22 cal centerfire because they were dead/wounded. A knife strike in the brain stem did what the 22 couldn't on one. The other one was a deer we watched a guy empty his rifle on(not sure cal, but small) then didn't see come out of the draw. Later that evening, I found it (as I left camp to take a leak) with a bullet in the guts stone dead.

and how many have you found wounded by a bow and arrow, or some guy with a giant 338 that blew a deers leg off.
i have used a 22 cal on several deer and the biggest gun i own is a 6.5. shot placement is key!

as for the op. a 9 twist won't destroy a 55 grainer. it will though stabilize 69 grainers. i used to shoot 75 amaxes out of a 9 twist 22-250 fine.

and how many have you found wounded by a bow and arrow, or some guy with a giant 338 that blew a deers leg off.
i have used a 22 cal on several deer and the biggest gun i own is a 6.5. shot placement is key!

as for the op. a 9 twist won't destroy a 55 grainer. it will though stabilize 69 grainers. i used to shoot 75 amaxes out of a 9 twist 22-250 fine.
None my friend. A bow kills by penetration; it will go through said critter and slice it all the way. A 338 will kill about anything it looks at, as long as you hit main mass and at least clip the vitals.
I've got 22, 25, 27, 28, 30, 338, 375, and 405 cal rifles, and the only one I'd never hunt deer with is my 22. I don't own 24 or 26 cal rifles because they essentially duplicate other calibers I already own.

I guess I must be doing something wrong then. I hunt white tails in section 2C in North Dakota and, for a few years, used a .243. Never lost one I hit with that. But I did feel it wrecked a lot of meat. So I tried my .223 and found that it made the deer just as dead and just as quickly, with less meat loss. I have had a few walk a short distance and lay down, but I am pretty sure everyone has had that happen regardless the caliber used.

If you hit the critter where you are supposed to, its gonna go down.

I guess I must be doing something wrong then. I hunt white tails in section 2C in North Dakota and, for a few years, used a .243. Never lost one I hit with that. But I did feel it wrecked a lot of meat. So I tried my .223 and found that it made the deer just as dead and just as quickly, with less meat loss. I have had a few walk a short distance and lay down, but I am pretty sure everyone has had that happen regardless the caliber used.

If you hit the critter where you are supposed to, its gonna go down.
You don't shoot deer in the "meat". Most 22's are varmint bullets, save the 60gr partition and barnes x. White tail does are a heck of a lot different than a mule deer buck. I can cound on one finger how many deer I had walk more than a few stumbles before folding. And that was a startled deer hit with my 300 win at 50 yards that went on a 5 second bolt and made it less than 50 yards. Pop and flop is the rule. I use my 22's on prarie dogs and targets like their bullets are made for.

to each his own, i guess. here in pa the whitetails get pretty big and i wouldn't hesitate to wack any one of them with my 22-250. 55 or 75 grain bullet.

to each his own, i guess. here in pa the whitetails get pretty big and i wouldn't hesitate to wack any one of them with my 22-250. 55 or 75 grain bullet.
Mule deer bucks have a certain tenaciousness that most deer don't have. I've seen them take multiple hits before they go down, all in the vitals from some rather large rifles. I am not going to blow a cup of hide off of his side and let him run off because I found it necessary to hit him with a 22. I'm going to blow a hole through his slats I can look through. I do like 22's for inexpensive shooting, but for deer they are a bust. Does take a bit less, so I don't use quite as big of a stick, but it's still not likely to be a 22.

We butcher our own deer, and while there certainly isn't much meat on the ribs, there still is there. My fathers and I have been told we don't leave enough on the bones for cats to bother with the bones.

I have shot a mule deer before. I wasn't sure how big they were so I went with the .243. All the ones we saw were not significantly larger than the whitetails we see. So if I ever go mule deer hunting again I will bring my .223.

We also don't hunt bucks. I can't eat horns, so that bit is no good to me; and it is far too much work to find one when does are everywhere, or at least used to be.

Just in case anyone reads this in the future (like I just did,) or the OP is still looking for information, I thought I'd add a few lines.

I've had in .223 Rem., a 1/10" Savage bolt gun 10+ yrs ago and presently own a 1/9" Remington. Bottom line? Shoot whatever bullet you want to in it and you'll be fine. The Savage didn't quite stabilize the 75gr AMAX's back then but did great with 69 smk's Everything up to that weight shot great also.

My current 1/9" has shot 80gr Nosler CC's just to see if it could- I had them laying around because I have a 1/7" gas gun- and it did. 69's and 75/77's shoot just fine but it's purpose is being a coyote gun so it shoots 53 VMAX's on the regular with 40, 50, 55, and 60gr VMAX, BlitzKings, TNT's, and Ballistic Tip also. Nothing has come apart or shot poorly. When I say they shoot "fine" I am meaning -1/2" MOA out to 300 yds.

Bottom line, I've seen a little velocity loss over a 1/12" or 1/14" twist with all other things being equal, but don't worry about spinning bullets apart or over stabilizing them in a 1/9" twist.

Just a side note/question- I think Capt? wrote that an animal will walk away from a .50 bullet if not hit properly? That's incorrect. Out of a muzzleloader, maybe, but a center fire .50 BMG will drop an animal shot just about anywhere above the knees and elbows.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.