.223 Questions

Hagar

I have a Remington 700 with the factory barrel in .223 and 1-12 twist.I am wondering what you guys are shooting out of this and what loads you would recommend.I will be hand loading,and using this rifle for gophers and coyotes.

I have 2 of them, both shoot 40 Gr. VMAX bullets with H335 Powder and CCI 450's in the 3's, 3600 FPS, LC brass made by WW on the 90's.

My weatherby also has a 1:12 and I'm running reloader 15 / cci 400 / 50gr nosler ballistic tips.

50 gr bullets shoot absolutely amazing through my rifle.

Hope this helps

Using a Cooper 1-12 twist. It seems to really like the 50 grain Sierra BlitzKing, Hodgdon H335, Federal Match Primers, Lapua Brass.

Of note, my particular rifle prefers the low end of the recipe, same hole at 100 yards but it opens up if I push it faster. Seeing just over 3050 fps. Target is eastern woodchucks and I am getting an instant kill.

I have friends that use the 40 grain BlitzKings with very good results but I want to use the heavier bullet at least for now.

I have some 50 grain Noslers I am going to try next. A friend of mine swears by Nosler.

I have the same Rifle & the 50 gr Sierra shot well, the Nosler 40gr BT with H335 did not work in my Rifle. I did find a winner in Hornadys 53gr V-Max with it. It is now my go to round in .223 Rem. I will save the other rounds for Night hunting & short range Varmit hunting under 300 yds. Good Shooting

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.