223 Question for the experts

fr3db3ar

I hear mostly that 5.56 guns have a longer throat than 223? This helps alleviate the extra pressure?

I have a Stevens 223 that even barely loading a 80 Vmax into a cartridge, I can't get it to touch the lands of my rifle. This gun currently shoots around 1 MOA with 55 Vmax over H335/CCI 450 primer and I'd like to make that tighter.... 1 in 9 twist so I'm not actually shooting the 80 grain....just used it for length testing at one time.

Is it likely that I should have my head space adjusted? Or am I on the wrong planet in this thought process? Should I just get a go/no go gauge and check it?

It seems that it can be a lot of work to shrink my groups.

I realize that a better stock might help as well....but want to do the best I can with what I already have. Am I likely already there?

keep trying with those lighter bullets 55 to 70 grain. the throat should not be a problem at this point. the gun you have is known for good accuracy out of the box. a quality scope is essential.

TOPGUN is right...I use A-MAX and V-MAX both are killers in accuracy.
The Stevens is a very accurate rifle for what you have spent..a hellova lot better than most Rifles costing twice the $.

keep trying with those lighter bullets 55 to 70 grain. the throat should not be a problem at this point. the gun you have is known for good accuracy out of the box. a quality scope is essential.

For a scope I'm running a new Bushnell 6500 6.5 - 30 X 50

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts