.223 for Song Dogs

That's what I use. Mossberg® MVP™ Series Varmint Bolt-Action Rifle with a Nikon 4x12 scope along with a Foxpro Wildfire 2. I have a deer blind setup on the tree line of one of my pastures, max distance to the opposite tree line is about 150yds. :)

Coyotes might be hard to hunt but they sure as heck aint hard to kill. The 223 has plenty of horse power for dirt napp'n coyotes. You don't need a rifle with a truck axle for a barrel either.

My first choice, is a semi auto. I like a flat top AR15 with a 20 inch standard government profile barrel.

My second choice is a sporter weight bolt action. A Weatherby Vanguard in 223 is at the top of my list of bolt guns for a dedicated coyote rig.

Top either one with a 3-15x50 Veracity from Burris (cheap and accurate) and get'er done

I'm a 223 AR shooting ground squirrels and PDog hunter! I recently went out and shot 1300 some rounds in 4 days out of three AR's.

I only do the winter pelt hunts with friends and our round of choice is the 62 grain fmj boat tail. They have tiny consistent groups when shot out at 3200 fps. I like them over the 75 grain match bullets which group the best around 2800 fps.

One can use a 223, or a 22 mag or even a 17hmr, provided you can get the coyotes to come in close enough. What one needs is going to depend on how the local coyotes behave. In the western US there seems to be much more competition for food so coyotes seem to respond much more aggressively to a distress call. Often several coyotes coming in at the same time, provided they neither see movement nor wind you.

In the eastern US coyotes will only come into the open if it has been bitterly cold for a while, there is snow on the ground and they are starving. Otherwise they will perhaps come near the edge of the woods and sit down and observe from the shadows. If the coyotes have been educated, as most are, you can forget about any distress calls. Consequently, I find that the only way to kill them is by sniping and seldom get a shot closer than 250 yards. Having tried a 223, I now use a 243AI with 95gr Berger VLD's at 3200fps. Bullet drop is reduced, wind deflection is reduced and terminal ballistics are far superior at 300+ yards. I'm protecting lambs, so this is not just a fun hobby, more a relentless assault on a source of income for the farmer.

I've been using the 22-250 on coyotes for over 15 years. I absolutely love that caliber. But this past season I bought myself a 223 by accident. I've **** half a dozen coyotes with it and I know I will love this caliber just as much if not better than my 22-250 because it makes far less damage in the pelts. Which means I get more too dollars for my furs.

My favorite AR .223 @ 450 yards is almost easy and i use an old 100.00 japan 6-24X40 Tasco... My old Savage BT competition .223 will do 650 yard P-Dogs with ease .

223 will work fine for coyotes. The varmint bullets are good to 400 for sure. If you run a faster twist like a 1:7-1:8 you can shoot the heavier bullets like the 75 eld or the 80gr Berger and reach out to 7-800. I know guys that run 223AIs and regularly smoke dogs past 600.

I've been using the 22-250 on coyotes for over 15 years. I absolutely love that caliber. But this past season I bought myself a 223 by accident. I've **** half a dozen coyotes with it and I know I will love this caliber just as much if not better than my 22-250 because it makes far less damage in the pelts. Which means I get more too dollars for my furs.

use a pumped up 40 gr ballistic tip in that 22-250 4000 fps and you will never go back to .223 it will never leave an exit hole. Or a james calhoun 30 gr double hollow point at 3800 fps for the .223 great too ...

use a pumped up 40 gr ballistic tip in that 22-250 4000 fps and you will never go back to .223 it will never leave an exit hole. Or a james calhoun 30 gr double hollow point at 3800 fps for the .223 great too ...

True story. Although I have absolutely nothing against the .223; I ran a 40grn HP at 4230 for a long time out of my 22-250. I don't recall ever having an exit at over 100yds. 50yds.... gross.

t

For my style of shooting/hunting I love the .223 inside 300 yards. Further than that and I prefer a heavier 6mm projectile. Lots of bullets will get the job done for killing coyotes but I presently shoot a 52g HP loaded by Ultramax. This seems to provide a nice balance between accuracy, trajectory, killing power, hide preservation and cost. I almost always have at least three .223s around and don't want to handload separately for each of them. If a rifle wont shoot the Ultramax within my standards I send it down the road.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.