223 for Deer

muddycreek

Can you use a 223 for deer? I have a 7mm RM that I hunt deer with all the time, but recently picked up a 700SPS-P in 223. I love the way the gun feels, and have thought about taking it with me sometimes when I deer hunt. I know people in Texas use them a lot, but trying to find out about a bullet to shoot for larger animals like deer. I've been shooting Fiocchi 50gr Hornady V Max so far and love those. Any suggestions? Any experience?

Can you use a 223 for deer? I have a 7mm RM that I hunt deer with all the time, but recently picked up a 700SPS-P in 223. I love the way the gun feels, and have thought about taking it with me sometimes when I deer hunt. I know people in Texas use them a lot, but trying to find out about a bullet to shoot for larger animals like deer. I've been shooting Fiocchi 50gr Hornady V Max so far and love those. Any suggestions? Any experience?

Its legeal here in NY look at Barns, seirra or nosler bullets

Yes I've done it. No, I won't do it again. I had several good experiences that lead me to think it was a non-issue. But the bad experiences are bad. For crop damage or population control it's just fine. If you are hunting and it's important to be able to take a shot on most deer that present an opportunity then don't use it. There is very little room for error and you will be tempted to take shots you shouldn't.

I would agree in part with the others. I've hunted deer with .223 using mostly Barns. As long as the deer aren't to far out and there not big trophy class animals like mule deer size it works pretty well. Smallish white and black tail at .30 30 range or a little farther... shouldn't be any problem with a well placed shot. It's when you push the animal size and start trying range's meant for the .308 Win and .300 Win Mag class cartridges; there's where you start running into some real problems.
Just my 0.02

What about a smaller bullet like the 50gr v-max? Yeah not planning on taking shots like with my 7mm but every now and then I like something different.

IF the 50Vmax does not hit a rib on the way in it will drop a deer like no other. Its a big if though as a rib is all it takes to make a nasty flesh wound!! BTDT even a coyote rib can splash the Vmax on the surface

What about a smaller bullet like the 50gr v-max? Yeah not planning on taking shots like with my 7mm but every now and then I like something different.

To many good bullets for the .223 Rem out there; like Barnes 50gr TSX FB and better yet 55gr TSX FB; rather than using a varmint bullet on a deer.
Yep they {varmint bullet} will kill a deer, but hell's bells; a rock thrown hard enough would likely kill one, if you hit him in the head... I think I'd stay with tough sporting bullet like Barnes or maybe Nosler 60gr Partition'…, if you have the proper rifling twist for the 60gr... I've kill a few with nothing more than the 62gr. M855/SS109 at 200 yards... don't recommend it, but it's better than a varmint bullet; to my way of thinking.

I introduced my 8 yr old to deer hunting-we sttled on a 243 that she was dead on @ 100 yrds with. As season got closer, I started taking her to the range to get some practice-turns out , she didn't enjoy shooting the gun due to recoil. I ended up picking up a .223 3 weeks before the opener . I sighted it in quickly myself, then got her shooting after work every other night. She loves that rifle. She ended up killing 2 bucks-both at 100 yrds . Both were broadside shots.The big 8 point got a pass through with a hornady 55 gr soft point-he still ran about 75 yards. The younger cull 5 point did the death kick, ran 20 yrds and stopped to look around-she hit him again, and the buck went about 60 yards. That first shot hit just a little low-but still in there. It was a pass through. The second hit was on the shoulder and was lodged under the skin on the far side.
IMHO-The 2 most imporant things with a small caliber rifle are making a lethal hit on a deer that presents a perfect opprtunity-broadside shot. Secondly, having a premium bullet that will get the job done.
We got invited to hunt hogs after season closed. We ended up re-sighting that little 223 for a 55 gr triple shock barnes(federal premium). Chloe ended up popping 2 pigs at 100 yrds, broadside shots. Both had to be trailed 100 yrds.
I would consider upgrading your bullet of choice to something that would hold up better. My little girl will be shooting the barnes exclusively this season.

65gr gameking or a 60gr partition would be excellent choices for deer hunting with a 223 also.

I'm shooting it out of the 700 SPS Tac which has a twist of 1:9. If I understand correctly, that's a slower twist than a 1:8. I've been looking at the TTSX but anything over 55gr recommends a 1:8 or faster. I guess I would need to stick with the 55gr TTSX, correct?

I'm shooting it out of the 700 SPS Tac which has a twist of 1:9. If I understand correctly, that's a slower twist than a 1:8. I've been looking at the TTSX but anything over 55gr recommends a 1:8 or faster. I guess I would need to stick with the 55gr TTSX, correct?

The 1-9 twist should work just fine up to about 70gr to 73grs. The 65gr Sierra Game King is a great bullet and one I shoot a lot of in my M4's. I wouldn't hesitate one bit to use it on deer in a .223 Rem. Perhaps you might look at the Barnes 62gr and 70gr TSX BT's with that twist. These two would have some real smack in the .223 Rem for deer.

a 22 rimfire solid will at least go through the lungs and if you give the deer time it will bed and die. only problem is its hell to find and thus illegal, but better than a frangible 223 or 22-250. but iv'e killed several with 60 gr 223 in nosler partition. why would anyone want to blow the meat off a deers shoulder or blow out a few ribs and hire a tracking dog to run down a wounded deer. you will even loose coyotes with a 223 v-max if you shoot enough. most texas deer are shot out of a blind at a deer standing under a feeder, now days. imho

A .223 might kill a deer, under the right conditions, with a perfect shot, if EVERYTHING works out right. If anything, and I mean anything at all goes wrong, you have wounded a deer that may take a week or more to die.

I could see starting an 8-year old with a .223 when your supervision can ensure nothing but a perfect shot will be taken. The justification is the balancing of recoil sensitivity against effectiveness.

Once a person is 10 they should be able to handle a .243, which is enough gun for whitetails in most situations. My daughter was skinny & had just turned 10 when she took her first deer with a .243. Adrenalin took care of any recoil issues when she was hunting & we used a LeadSled for practicing. I would STRONGLY argue against anyone 10 or older using a .223 on deer. It's not humane to shoot what is not expected to die quickly & with a .223 I don't believe you can expect all deer to die quickly.

As an adult you should be able to handle a .260 Rem or .25-06, which is where deer rifles start for most hunting situations. A rifle in this class will humanely kill a deer with a less-than-perfect shot & they have minimal recoil.

I am a fan of downsizing firearms in most situations & haven't carried a 7mm mag for deer in MANY years. That said, you won't see me carrying less than a .243 when deer hunting, and I don't believe others should either.

My 2¢.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts