.223 Coyote Load. Need advice.

Interesting on pinhole in and out. It doesn't make sense to me on the bullet not expending its energy inside the animal. The full metal jacket is the reason the military is required to use them. I know the SP XP I use completely comes apart inside the yote expending all energy on the organs. That's 1283 ft. lbs. of energy (at lease at the muzzle) being expended inside the animal.

Well the last thing i shot with this rifle was a mule deer doe at 238 yards about a month ago
i put the bullet right at the base of her head destroying her spine. The entrance hole was a normal .223 hole along with the exit. Id assume a varmint but wouldnt make a complete pass through after going though a full size mature mule deers spine but it does and along with every other deer ive spined.

Blows prairie dogs up like crazy and stops yotes where there stand.

Try the 55gr nosler varmegeddon bullet. 25gr of imr8208 easily good out to 300yds. No exit.

Just purchased a Savage .223 Model 10 in the Precision Carbine (WOW) and I'm trying to figure out the best weight and bullet for yotes to do the job, yet leave little pelt damage. This thing will litterally shoot Sub MOA with anything I can throw at it. Loaded or factory, light or heavy. Pretty amazing realy. Maybe this is typical of Savage, or maybe these Precision Carbines are just a breed of thier own. Anyhow, looking for advice from you long time Yote hunters who have a personal favorite bullet and weight out of the .223. Remember, little to no pelt damage. Thanks fellas!

1 n 9 twist 20" barrel

Jason

53 gr Vmax seated .010" off the lands
25.5 grs AA2015
Fed 205M primers
LC brass

Just had to figure the same problem out for myself.
In years past I used a 22-250 with a 52 grain A-Max, the bullet was great on pelts.

I bought an AR a couple of months ago, and have shot 5 coyotes in the past 3 weeks. Results were poor ! killed the yote quick but created massive holes in the fur.
I figured the problem was that the 223 velocity was too slow for the 52 A-max.
(and yes, I lost out on $200.00, they are bringing around 40 to 50 dollars here)

I switched to a 40 grain v-max last week, and that seems to be the ticket ! Little entrance hole, and no exit hole. I have tested the bullets out to 400 yards on windy days and I can tell you that the wind drift is only 1" diffrent than a 55 grain hornady vmax.
With a 40 grain bullet you get a much higher velocity, making the round much flatter shooting, and easier to just put the crosshairs on the coyote and pull the trigger, no hold over.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts