223 ballistics

roundss

I am testing some bullets in a Weatherby Vanguard 223. 22" bull barrel, 1/12 twist.

I have shot 10 loads for each bullet and have not seen any signs of excessive pressure. Here's what I have so far. I will save accuracy comments until I have my new trigger and I'm not sitting next to a 300 win mag with a muzzle brake.

Brass: Winchester
Primer: CCI small rifle mag
Powder: Benchmark
bullets: 40gr v max moly & 36gr varmint grenade

26 grains of benchmark, 40 gr v max average 3470 fps

28 grains of benchmark, 40 gr v max average 3642 fps

28 grains of benchmark, 36 gr varmint grenade average 3719 fps

I am also trying to get my hands on some Vhitavouri 120 or 130 to test as well. "It shines like a diamond in a goats ***" , so I am told.

I know 10 isn't alot to base an average off but interesting none the less. And all I could shoot in time to be home for the UFC fight Saturday.:D

I was at sportsman's warehouse and cabela's and they were out (of the 335). I hope to get my hand on some soon. Between the viht, reloader 7 & 10x, H-335, Varget, and benchmark powders, and mix of v max, berger, varmint grenades, and CT silver tip I should find something the gun likes.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.