223/22 hornet length actions

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by vendetta333, Feb 27, 2013.

1. vendetta333

vendetta333 Well-Known Member

looking into a 20 Mink (22 hornet necked down, shortened and improved) build soon. but want a dedicated 223/22 hornet length action. p,lease list all action you know of that fit this except for the cz 527, savage 25 as i already know about them and need no further research. both great actions, just lookin for alternatives for comparison. thanx all :)

2. vendetta333

anyone?

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

If you can find a Remington 700 Short action for the 222,223,221 have a spacer in the mag
    box for the small cartridges. Also the mod 7 for the 222, 223 and 221.

Any short action Remington will work but these are easer and require little or no work .

If you can find a Sako S 491 in 223 it is a good choice and they are very short.

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

4. vendetta333

it does somewhat. i didnt think about the sako, but i am not interested in the 700, as i hate the entire action, not your fault you didnt know, butalso i am looking for the dedicated actions which are shorter than short actions. found the cooper model 38, but not sure i can justify the cost. any thoughts or expeerience with this action or any others?

5. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I,m not sure why you hate the Remington but that is your business. All that I know is that in the hands of a skilled Gun Smith they can/will shoot with anything and most of the custom actions are cloned
    after the 700 action.

The only other action I can think that is shorter is the falling blocks like the 1885 low wall Winchester.

The entire action is around 3 inches long.

I have a 22 k hornet on one made in 1888 with a Lilja barrel and it is amazingly accurate.

I don,t know much about the coopers but they have a good reputation.

Good luck on your project.

J E CUSTOM

6. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

I think he's on a "never ending quest" for a dedicated, cheaply priced action. Like J.E said,,,, good luck!

7. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

I read this thread, and the first action to pop up in my mind was the Mark X, "Mini Mauser". (if they are still being made) A very similar design to the CZ, but also kind of petit!
    gary

8. vendetta333

i am all for a 700 foot print on actual short actions and long actions etc, great stock choices etc, but i hate the engineering of the action, the extractor, solid bolt head etc. i digress. i had considered a falling block, or break action but was concerned about accuracy issues with the scope being mounted over the barrel. a real concern? also, what about bipods, the short fore-end on a 85 stiff enough to lay on?

9. Trickymissfit

I don't know about Winchester, but Browning did a Lo-Wall in 22 Hornet and .223 Remington. I have a Lo-Wall in .223, and it's a pretty neat rifle.
    gary

10. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Cute little devils if you can find one. Its been so long since I've seen one I thought maybe I imagined them when I first read this post.

11. Trickymissfit

I'm not positive, but I think they also offered that action in the 7.62x39 bolt face (PPC).
    gary

12. shortgrass

Zastava "Mini's" are listed on Century International Arms web site. Listed as "coming soon". Have been listed as "coming soon" for 8-9 months, maybe longer. The last ones, imported by Charles Daly, were pretty 'cheap' , IMO.

13. vendetta333

just for ease of getting the project started, do you guys think that i would be able to get bolt accuracy out of a NEF Handi or TC encore? handi's are uber cheap and i can have my smith make up the stock i want, and my uncle has a tc i may be able to pry off of him, but this rig is going to be soley used to shoot squirrels and rabbits out to 300. headshots to be specific, i eat what ikill, no matter what, besides disease obviously lol. i have heard great things reguarding the accuracy of the round, one guy said that his particular rifle was getting 1 inches at250! my other concern is the barrel. i would like to go pac-nor, pretty set actually, but not sure if they will make barrles for tc or nef.

14. shortgrass

???