220 Swift usine 35 grn MEF Berger Bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by wildcat, Mar 21, 2006.

1. wildcat

wildcat Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, has anyone on this site used the Berger 35 grn MEF bullet out of a 220 Swift. I am hearing from some that they are getting around 4700 fps to 5000 fps with excellent accuracy. I am getting around 4200 fps with 40 grn Nosler Ballistic Tips with excellent accuracy. I know barrel life may be short, but thats why I have a good gunsmith and extra barrels. Anyway, any info would be great. I am going squirrel killin' on Friday, I will let everyone know how those 40 grn Ballistic Tips work. We will be shooting anywhere between 10 yards to 500 yards. I will be using my little 10/22 for the close shots. My friend and I get access to a ranch here in California that is around 25 miles long and 5 miles wide. There are going to be millions of squirrels, I hope have enough ammo loaded up. I have around 450 220 Swift loaded, 200 223 loaded, and I have about 600 22LR ready to go. I will let know how it goes. Any info youi guys can give regarding 35 grn MEF berger bullets in 220 Swift will appreciated.

2. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

Have not tried it but I can tell you that getting an extra 500 to 800 fps more velocity by only dropping 5 grains of bullet weight seems like pretty optomistic numbers.

Not trying to discourage you from testing these bullets but I can tell you ballistically, your 40 gr load will smoke anything you can get with the MEF. A 50 gr Ballistic tip loaded to 4000 fps would be even better for ranges past 300 yards.

Now that I have been a stick in the mud, give 'er hell!!

Kirby Allen(50)

3. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Have not tried it but I can tell you that getting an extra 500 to 800 fps more velocity by only dropping 5 grains of bullet weight seems like pretty optomistic numbers.

Not trying to discourage you from testing these bullets but I can tell you ballistically, your 40 gr load will smoke anything you can get with the MEF. A 50 gr Ballistic tip loaded to 4000 fps would be even better for ranges past 300 yards.

Now that I have been a stick in the mud, give 'er hell!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with Fifty you have to include b.c. ,you can shoot a spit wad at 5000fps but without b.c. sectional density,mass it is meaningless, if you want to get the most from a swift try a 1-8" barrel with 75 -80 gr bullets and reach out beyond 300yds
    UB

4. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree with Fifty you have to include b.c. ,you can shoot a spit wad at 5000fps but without b.c. sectional density,mass it is meaningless, if you want to get the most from a swift try a 1-8" barrel with 75 -80 gr bullets and reach out beyond 300yds
    UB

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love the way guys think around here. We take one of the greatest, fastest varmint cartridges of all time, which I might add has survived on it's ability to shoot the 40 grainers @ 4300 fps, and turn it into a lowly 3400 fps gun. You couldn't have convinced me a year ago, but speed is way overrated. BC and accuracy is where it's @!!!!!

5. wildcat

wildcat Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys, I am going to stick with the 40 grn Nosler BT. I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Wildcat