220 swift twist rate recommendation

Around here ours top out at 180ish...pig-wise don't really shoot anything over a hundred for "eatability". I definitely agree if we had 250 lb deer the .270 would be by go-to.

Just becarefull of the hogs, as I know more than one guy that got a leg full of stitches from a hog.
gary

i agree with twist reccomendation. I will say though maybe a fluke, my Rra with a 1in 8 LOVES the 50 grainer. 1/4 minute out to 500 and 600 on paper (nosler). Same thing with the Barnes 70. Did a review on the 70 at midway. Check it out. actually shot one at a touch over 300 facing me with the 70 Barnes. broke neck, traveled all the way through deer, destroyed vitals, exited out of right Ham. Quarter size exit wound. Deer camp as was I slack jawed at the performance of the bullet. The Swift because of the velocity may not act that way with both extremes in weight but the .223 doesn't care. Either way I wouldn"t shoot one much past 300now that I have better rifles for that. Longest shot with little bores was 380 yds verified by laser. Neck shot with F4 jacketed Benchrest bullets. Deer never knew what hit it. It was a bang flop affair with my Swift. I will say I now relegate my .22s under 200 yards, out to 5 i shoot my 6.5x.284, over 500, the 300 RUM is the stick of choice. I have often wished one of my 22-250s had a faster twist. i am really interested to see if the little pills can stand up to that velocity and twist. Good luck with your build and keep us posted 1 and 8 would be my choice. after re reading initial post i should have said pre barnes had no exit not that they didn't open. Trust me they opened. Like stuffing a hand grenade in the body cavity and walking away. 3900 fps is pretty amazing when it hits 90 percent water. You may want to read a little on P.O Ackley and his veiws of the .22. If plate armor cant stop the little pills how is a deer or hog? Interesting to know those old timers views if they had the copper pills around then. We might all have been singing a different tune much earlier in our hunting careers.

I don't know, when I think of deer I automaticly think of a .257 Roberts. I have read what Ackley wrote on the subject, and to this day cannot agree with him. Yet today we really do have better quality bullets to work with. Perhaps an 80 grain bullet traveling at about 3250fps with no exit wound.
gary

look at all the success of Berger and how they drop them. We were doing this 20 years ago with Ed Watson's J4 benchrest 52gr. Never recovered a bullet, never lost a deer, never had to track a deer with those. The limitations were simply range. If I had not started the long range thing I'd probably be shooting solely them. I kept seeing really nice game farther than I knew my rifle could take them. Got a cooper in 6.5 x .284. lerned to shoot past its limitations and now own a 300 Rum. The Rum gets to my longest available shot with plenty of energy to take down a deer. My cooper is probably the most accurate out to 600 and I still shoot them all. Shot placement is critical no matter what you shoot. If you shoot Barnes shoot for bone. J4 jacket benchrest bullets, neck or head, bergers go for just befind the shoulder. There is no. do all. you just need to know your limitations of your rifle, your bullet, and you.

22 centerfires are too small for deer sized game in my book. And I'd probably want something bigger for hogs as well.
gary
New to the site but have shot many mule deer and black bear with my swift . However it isn't like a 300 win or the like . I only use premium bullets for those 2 animals bullet of choice for me is 60 nosler partition works very very well for me . But like all firearms shot placement is key 100 percent . I hunt in extreme north eastern oregon mountains . But I also know the limits of the round . I won't take a 800 yrd shot at one . 99 percent of the animals I have killed now matter 3006, 270,bow,ect have been shot inside 300 yards. Alot around 150 to 100 mark. But it will kill clean with the right bullet ,range and competence of the shooter . Just my 2 cents