.22 MAG too small for coyotes???

Iron Worker---We have a lot of days in the 80s with humidity up in the 50s to 70s, so it's nothing like that hot desert heat you have. This summer up here has been very hot with many days in the 90s and a few breaking 100 with a heat index of 110 or better. It is finally cooling off into the 70s to very low 80s now for the next 10 days with a decent rain forecast for tomorrow and it is really needed just like everywhere else across the country.

I've killed 10 coyotes with a .22 LR this summer. It amazes me how many guys ask, "will a .22 kill a coyote?"

I could kill a moose with a .22 and so could you.

Iron Worker---We have a lot of days in the 80s with humidity up in the 50s to 70s, so it's nothing like that hot desert heat you have. This summer up here has been very hot with many days in the 90s and a few breaking 100 with a heat index of 110 or better. It is finally cooling off into the 70s to very low 80s now for the next 10 days with a decent rain forecast for tomorrow and it is really needed just like everywhere else across the country.

It is hot today,tomorrow morning my coyote season begins.

I've killed 10 coyotes with a .22 LR this summer. It amazes me how many guys ask, "will a .22 kill a coyote?"

I would not doubt it at all. I guess it depends on where one lives, here in the midwest we have Coyotes that get 40-50 lbs sometimes. I have heard pelenty of people see them run off after being shot with a 223.
In this area it is 50/50 sucess for coyotes with a 22 magnum,, 50%. I am sure those 50 that got away, most of those will die, but they run 300 miles, so who is going to find them after..

Your friends who ask "Will a .22 kill a coyote?" YES of course it will with perfect shot placement or a small enough coyote.

With a 223 on up you can shoot a trotting or running coyote and have 90% or more chance to kill and drop them with a no so perfect shot

My friend who uses the 22 magnum, when he shoots them close and gets a perfect shot they do seem to drop. otherwise they run off and get EDUCATED to our calls.

but this is the midwest, and coyotes can be call shy and stay way out or are moving most the time, and when they do sit still it is not for long, you do not have all day to position the cross hairs perfectly on the heart of whilee Coyotee.

the 22 can do it, but I'm sure a 243 can kill a smaller elephant 10 time out of 10 with a perfect shot placement in ideal conditions
When we talk Eastern midwest coyotes and average shots and a 90% kill ratio!

Then 22 is plain and simple a Squirrel gun including the magnum.

Yeah, there are a couple of know it alls who believe their opinion is the only correct one. The OP's question is ".22 MAG too small for coyotes???", not "what is the perfect coyote round?" 5 of 6 coyotes I've taken this year are 22 magnum victims and the other was with 22lr. The answer to the original question is definitely "no, the 22 magnum is not too small." Many coyotes across the country go down everyday with 22lr and 22 mag.

Along the lines of what jwp said, no, the .22 Mag is not too small for coyotes, but you could drop just about any critter with one if you put it where it needed to go. I, as many others have stated here as well, have seen several deer wacked with a .22 (lr or mag) to the head and a bang-flop (er, pop-flop??) kills. I also saw a whitetail killed with a lung shot by a .17 HMR, by a hunting buddy who had been badly burned over 60% of this body and could not hold a rifle well enough to handle recoil yet. BUT I by no means suggest a rimfire of any kind as a deer rifle, just that it can be done. I also have a friend who is a college biology teacher who uses a .17 HMR in the lungs to collect specimens for his classes to to the lack of damage to the bone structure it produces.Kinda funny that his reason for using it is my reasoning for not using one! I do not know a kill/wounded percentage for his hunting, just that i personally never have seen him lose one yet. My little brother sold his .17 after it failed to penetrate a coyote's skull on the trapline two winters ago, which does not give me alot of confience there! I also have seen countless head of cattle, even 2000lbs+ bulls, dropped with a single shot to the forehead with a .22 Mag, so penetration is not an issue there! Is there a point to all of the points i just made that seem to contradict themselves in every way? I guess just that you can make any argument you want, based on a certain few facts.
I personally hunt coyotes with a 70 grain TNT Hp out of my .243, which gives me a good degree of certainty, even with a hit too far back.
If my only rifle was a .22 Mag, i would likely choose a shotgun instead with some no. 4 buck as my coyote gun, which i use quite often as it is. It offers slightly reduced range but much greater killing power on big dogs.

That said, any weapon i have in my hand is what i'll use on any coyote i see, after you've seen a few sheep that are still alive with their faces chewed off, or deer that have been hamstrung and half eaten while still alive, you don't have much love for coyotes! But i agree that they deserve a quick and painless death none the less, if possible.

I am no expert with the .22 Mag on coyotes. The only coyote I ever shot with a .22 Mag was an Alaskan coyote at 110 yards. Weighed about 40 lbs. Hit it with a 40 gr jacketed hollow point through the ribs tight to the back of the front legs and it dropped dead as a door nail in its tracks. Never even twitched. We used to hunt and shoot a lot of red fox with the .22 Mag in Michigan and it was more than enough gun to kill the 12-14 lb Michigan red fox out to a good 100 yards. Whereas a standard 22 long rifle resulted in a much higher percentage of wounded red fox, without the most deadly of shot placements. Shot a few red fox on Kodiak Island with the .22 Mag also. Those fox weigh more like 20-25 lbs because of the easy living they have scavenging off the saltwater beaches. The .22 Mag was plenty on them also.

If shooting coyotes much past 100 yards, I would certainly recommend more than the .22 Mag for any serious coyote hunter. Closer than 100 yards and I would be comfortable on broadside standing shots, such as with the one I killed years ago.

In the wide open spaces where longer shots would be common, I would at least use a .224 center fire, if not even a larger caliber to reduce wind drift and extend range.

Some of you fellas would stroke out if you had to hunt public land in Arkansas. We are limited to rimfire and shotguns with T shot or less. I have not hunted any of this land yet but intend to this year. It is chock full of yotes and they are wiping out the turkey population. While bow hunting, I have heard multiple packs fire up at the same time from where I was hunting. I hate that I can't cary my little baby (X bolt shot show special in 22-250). But I try to follow the law, so this Christmas I am hoping Santa brings me a new Savage model 93 in 22wmr. I will 2 gun it when I go and bring along my Benelli with 3 1/2 #4 turkey loads. Hopefully, I can share some stories and pics later.

.22mag will do the trick, if properly placed... have used one for several years and none has go away yet... head oe heart shot... I use a ruger m77 bolt action... Gizzmo from Ohio

A .22mag will do the trick, if properly placed... have used one for several years and none has go away yet... head oe heart shot... I use a ruger m77 bolt action... stay with in 100 yards... Gizzmo from Ohio

ALl I know is that for a FACT, I have friends who use the 22 mag and it is 50/50 dead or run away.

Yer friends don't shoot so good, do they?

.22 WMR will definitely DRT a coyote. You gotta pack your big boy pants and take sane well placed shots. Key is well placed. If you can't do that and get all twitterpated at the sight of an incoming coyote then your percentages with centerfire ain't gonna be so great either.:rolleyes:

I like the Federal 50 gr hp for that little extra bit of penetration those few extra grains give.

I don't get how you can say it won't do the job? It will.

Yer friends don't shoot so good, do they?

None of my friends are expert military snipers, so maybe not, but the two who used to use the 22 mag on DNR land that required 22 rimfire have killed coyotes easy past 200 yards with the 22-250's 25-06's 243's etc with almost 100% success.

.22 WMR will definitely DRT a coyote. You gotta pack your big boy pants and take sane well placed shots. Key is well placed. If you can't do that and get all twitterpated at the sight of an incoming coyote then your percentages with centerfire ain't gonna be so great either.:rolleyes:

you can search coyotes and 223 and failure on google on forums where people have failures with the 223 Remington on coyotes, even using the vmax.
I have read many stories of coyote running off after being hit with a 223 and a good varmint bullet.

So your trying to say the .22 mag has more knock down power than the 223?? OMG!!!

really depends on where you hunt, some parts of the country like out west coyotes may sit still for you forever, but here, you do not have the luxury of coyotes sitting still for long at all, and well places heart or brain shots on a trotting coyote are pipe dream.

a low velocity .22 mag that pencil through a coyotes lungs will not expand much if at all. it may die, but it will run 50 miles and die a week later.

While a 22-250 and a 40 vmax at 4000 fps in the lungs will still expand and blow the coyotes insides up.
killing it instantly.

I don't get how you can say it won't do the job? It will.

it will !! if you like 50% or lower chances.
Good luck on ur hunts

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.