22 K Hornet question

Alucard

Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting a 22 K Hornet for under $1000. Which would be a better set up:

1) Getting a Savage model 40 in 22 Hornet, then have it re-chambered into 22 K Hornet

Or

2) Getting a Thompson Center encore rifle then getting a Thompson Center custom shop barrel in 22 K Hornet

Which would be a better shooting rifle? If I go with the Savage, I would also get it pillar bedded at the same time as re-chambering. Any other work that I should get done to either setup? Pros/Cons of each?

Also, should I bother with the K Hornet or should I just stick with the standard Hornet?

Any other rifle/setup I should consider?

Any help much appreciated!

Check out CZ 527 in Hornet. I have a 10" hornet in T/C that will group about 1.5" at 100. IMO, the K requires more powder to do the same thing. If you hotrod that little case, it just will not last and 100 fps is not worth it. Get a .223 if you want higher velocity 22.

The case life will go down drastically? I was under the impression that the case life was to go up due the the sharp defined shoulder. But, I really do not know either way as this would be my first Hornet.

I actually have a .223 Rem, .22-250 Rem, and a .220 Swift. I was looking at a high volume, low noise/blast short range varmint round.

IMO, the K requires more powder to do the same thing. If you hotrod that little case, it just will not last and 100 fps is not worth it.

My case life has been spectacular, especially where the entire chamber has been recut to a "tighter" Hornet base diameter. Match your chamber reamer to the brass you're going to be using, tighten up the neck and throat diameter and run it.

I have one

I had one made in a 12" bull Encore by Bullberry with minimum spec chamber or match chamber and love it. Best groups to date are around 0.5 moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.