.22 cal 52 gr JLK update

COBrad

I learned about this bullet here and have been testing them extensively in my 14 twist 24" Cooper barrel. Load is 38.7 gr H380 with an average velocity of 3556. Two sighter shots at 200 yds to test the wind yesterday went into one hole that measured .033. I shot PD's from around 200 to 394 lasered yards. The bullets performed very well at all ranges comparing favorably with the Nosler BT's I was also shooting. The 394 yd dog was still in one piece, but pretty thoroughly destroyed. I expect to shoot this bullet exclusively for a while.
148508.JPG

Shot a coyote today at 431 yds. He was facing directly away looking back over his shoulder. Bullet hit him in center of neck and exited just below the opposite jaw. Exit wound was quarter size.

COBrad,
I am wondering what cal. are you using these in? By the velocity maybe a 22-250?
The Cooper barrel sounds like a winner, keep up the good work.
------------
Zod

U are da man Aspen-- been waiting awhile to see just how they'll perform-- especially on coyotes. Excellent writeup!! In fact, i'm gonna copy this post over to www.saubier.com as soon as my account is up and running there if that's OK with you. The next time you call Jimmy Knox-- tell him Steve Hugel sent you, if you don't mind(i was supposed to do a writeup on him in TVHM, and haven't quite gotten finished with it yet). I thought that JLK would do well. I ran some calculations with that .302 BC, and external ballistics should be about the same as a plastic tipped bullet @ 100 yds. further once it hits 400 yds.

Hey, have u thought about trying that 60 grainer-- i know it's rated for 12 twist-- but u know u never know. With a .339 BC could gain 200 yds. on the plastic tips.
Imagine that-- a 7-800 yd. 22-250.

One other thing-- have u ever though about sending some sort of write-up to Cooper or Small Caliber News magazine about the performance you're getting? Could net u some freebies-- advertisement, etc.

[ 05-13-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

[ 05-13-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Hi guys, Zod, I am shooting a 22-250 with a 14 twist barrel. I conducted a "ladder test" to determine powder charges. One other charge that shot very well was 40.1 gr. H380. This load shot around 3700 fps at about 60 degrees. I shot a number of groups in the .1's and .2's with it, and my smallest ever group, a .068. I am using the lighter load of 38.7 gr because it seems to be more consistent. Coyote, at the range these JLK's hit to the same point of impact @ 100 yds. at the 50 gr plastic tipped bullets. I did talk to Jimmy Knox about the 60's a few months ago and his suggestion was that they would probably not work unless pushed fast in warm temps, based on his own experience with them from a 14 twist... so I haven't tried them. You are welcome to post this thread on another forum, and I replied to your email regarding an article.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.