22-BR bench-heavy varmint project

surveyor3447

I am considering the project of reworking a Ruger No. 1 Action to the 22-BR using the Lapua Brass. Does any body know a gunsmith who does custom work on the Ruger No. 1. Does anyone have any experence with projects on the Ruger No. 1 Action. What can be done with the terrible trigger and how about possible accuracy. I would like to use a 1-8 or 1-9 twist so I can use the heavy new target bullets.

...ruger #1 is a very impressive rifle, but almost certainly, there will be a concession on accuracy, when compared to a "good" bolt action... also, 22br really shines in slower twist using 50-52 gr bullets...however, your project sounds exciting...sometimes that's all the "excuse" we need to proceed... jmo

I did mine before laupa brass was around so cann't say good or bad. I've got a 1/14 twist barrel. K&P of Raton, New Mexico barrel and bedded mine I added the set trigger. Get pretty close to 3600fps with a 52 gr match bullet and groups are in the 2's not BR groups but good enough. Hart also can chamber a #1 think Shilen might want to check on Krieger also. I just a #1 6ppc done up with a Hart 1/14 twist barrel shoot pretty good. K&P also did up a 30-338 on a #1 for me great job. I don't have there phone handy but you can get from information. Good luck.

HI surveyor3447,
Moyers makes an adjustable trigger, 2-4 lbs. for about $50.
My recommendation would be to go 6mmBR instead of 22BR.
here is a real life comparison...

Nosler 55gr 6mm BC.276 35gr of aa2230 mv3800 FPS..out of a 24" barrel~very accurate load!

Nosler 22cal 55gr. BC.267 35gr of W748 MV3600 FPS.out of 24" barrel! these are both max loads.
Lapua brass is excellent brass!
Also you can get factory brass for the 6mmbr no resizing required.
I would also recommend a 1-12 twist for the 6mmbr so you can stabalize the heavier
87 gr. hornady.
A Ruger #1 is capable of very good accuracy!
I hope this is of some help and the best of luck on you new rifle.
P.s I have a 6mmbr and I make very consistant hits on pd's at 600 yds. and have taken several at 700yds. This is an awesome cartridge.
smile.gif

Oh I don't need to hear this - it had been put to the back of my head. Now it's back - that #1 in 6.5-06(well 6.5x65RWS actualy as that's the reamer my smith has)with 28" barrel (same overall length as my bolt gun with 24" barrel)set up for Lapua 108gr scenars at around 3,500fps (BC 0.478) Oh well......
smile.gif

My gunsmith does great work on #1's. He has a patent of some sort of accuracy enhancement he does inside the forearm. he can get the trigger down to very respectable levels as well.

let's see if this link works,....this is an article written by John R. Sundra in 1999 in guns magazine.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_11_45/ai_56028732

Mike Ruggiero
Broad Creek Rifle Works
Laurel Delaware
(302) 875-5446

[ 08-04-2004: Message edited by: JustC ]

The 600 yard small group record at the Upper Nisqually Gun Club in Eatonville Washington was set by Billy Copelin using a 22br in 8 twist.He also set a record in 2002 with his heavy gun at the NBRSA 1000 Yard Nationals in Sacramento,California.His gunsmith is Rick Breginski of 1000 yard fame.
Lynn

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.