22-6mm barrel

jde650

Case length 2.225, chamber length 2.270. Is 0.045 to much? I have poor accuracy and lots of copper fouling. Case grows 10 thou to 15 thou after every firing, and one heck of a carbon ring. Usually have case separation after 4 to 5 firings. this is a new MGM 7 twist barrel. I wanted to shoot 90 gr vld bullet. I think this 0.045 is causing my problem but I have been wrong many times. I need some expert advice.

Thanks

jde650

Yes, too much. Are you FL sizing after each firing? No need to on this one; that may be part of the problem. What I do with mine is use a fireforming load of 4895 beneath a cheap bullet seated firmly into the lands and then neck size after that. Every three or four loadings I'll run the brass into the FL die but have it set to just bump the shoulder back. I think you'll find your brass life greatly increases.

As to the coppering, nature of the beast with tiny bores, fast twists, and high velocities. Do a good break-in and cleaning will usually be easier, but even with that mine still copper fouls a little faster than some of my other rifles. With your extremely fast twist for this case size, unlikely that will go away.

Great cartridge, but definitely a little fussier to feed & care for....

Good luck,
Brian

I have been FL resizing never thought of fire forming to chamber. I will try it.

Thanks Brian

jde650:)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.