22-284, 6mm-284, 6.5-284

Well I certainly appreciate all the help and input really. Didn't know where to start but now I do lol. I'm gonna buy a couple things at a time and bring it to a gunsmith I found close by. Thanks

Well I certainly appreciate all the help and input really. Didn't know where to start but now I do lol. I'm gonna buy a couple things at a time and bring it to a gunsmith I found close by. Thanks

Glad we could help. You've got the right idea of buying one part at a time, when finished you only have to worry about the gunsmith fees. Much easier on the pocket book that way :cool:

Whom did you choose as a 'smith?

t

As far as the 6.5x284, I'm a fan. As far as actions, the 700 SA using a Wyatt box is a pretty good route. I've used both LA and SA and I'm 49.5 - 50.5 in favor of the long but either makes me happy. I've not noticed 1 bit of difference in accuracy or velocity for that matter. You can't fill a case up with the most popular powders any way regardless of where the bullets are seated. You can get 56-57 grains of h1000 in the case without compression with loads seated out way there. You can easily get the same amount when seated to fit a SA Wyatt box with a bit of compression. Velocities should be any where from 2959-3050 with either action. You can also get 59 of retumbo in either but the SA loads are pretty compressed.

M

I started off building a 6mm-284 and found RL22 and RL17 worked excellent for speed and accuracy, then a 22-284 was assembled and that barrel was cryo treated to slow throat erosion. H1000 was the ticket with the .224cal barrel and as others have said these gems cartridges are darn accurate!

Now both rifles are waiting for cooler temps this fall as even 27" heavy barrels heat up fast in the summer.

Attachments

• 6mm284 4shot.jpg
    6mm284 4shot.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_3039.JPG
    100_3039.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 98
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.