.22-250

I would say not a chance in haties but I have been wrong before. Give them a try to find out but do not expect much. From what I have seen, even a 1-12 is marginal with these bullets in many cases and a 1-10 would be about right.

Kirby Allen(50)

Yuup highly unlikely.

I tryed some 65gr sierra game kings in a 1-12" twist and the holes looked oblong at 300ish yds.Wide-open load of h-380.
Leonard over at huntmasters has got the 64gr bergers to fly -although w/a 1-12". Mike

northernchris, If it is genuinely a 1 in 14 twist barrel then it has no chance of stabilising in your 22/250.

About 20 years ago, when the Hornady 68 grain HPBT, and Sierra 69 grain HPBT became available in Oz, I built up a .220 Swift AI. I took my gunsmith's advice, and chose a 1 in 12 twist barrel, but despite reaching 3,700 fps, every projectile keyholed into the 100 yard target.

So a 69 grain Sierra at about 3,250 fps out of a 22/250 with a 1 in 14 twist barrel has no chance whatsoever.

I have used the 69 grain Sierra extensively in my 22/250AI with a 1 in 10 twist barrel, and at velocities ranging from about 2,800 fps through to 3,450 fps, there has not been a hint of a keyhole, and accuracy has usually been 0.5moa or better. Hope that is of some help. Brian.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Brian how long was your Barrel?northernchris, If it is genuinely a 1 in 14 twist barrel then it has no chance of stabilising in your 22/250.

About 20 years ago, when the Hornady 68 grain HPBT, and Sierra 69 grain HPBT became available in Oz, I built up a .220 Swift AI. I took my gunsmith's advice, and chose a 1 in 12 twist barrel, but despite reaching 3,700 fps, every projectile keyholed into the 100 yard target.

So a 69 grain Sierra at about 3,250 fps out of a 22/250 with a 1 in 14 twist barrel has no chance whatsoever.

I have used the 69 grain Sierra extensively in my 22/250AI with a 1 in 10 twist barrel, and at velocities ranging from about 2,800 fps through to 3,450 fps, there has not been a hint of a keyhole, and accuracy has usually been 0.5moa or better. Hope that is of some help. Brian.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only bullet I've found in the 22-250 to defy the rule in a 1-14 is the Speer 70 Semi Spitzer.

I just did custom loads for a fellas Lightweight M70 and the Speer 70 out shot everything. Many of the 50-55s I shot through that rifle shot plain terrible groups in the 2-2.5" range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but, finally the 70 Speers were able to save the day so to speak and print around 3/4" at 100 which isn't great but much better than the ridiculous groups the factory ammo was printing for him as well as the pile of handloads I tried. I loaded up another 25 last night and hope they do ok out at 200 which is about all he needs for yotes and hogs where he'll be using it.

Several other shooters put me on the Speer 70s saying they'd shot well from a 1-14 in their experience. I may have to try them in my XR100 22-250 just to see what happens.

The speer 70s are not hardly a match bullet and they certainly don't have the greatest BC at only .214 but, if you do want to push alittle heavier bullet from your 1-14, they may be a good place to start. Probably be much better construction wise for medium game as well.

Good Luck

Reloader

So i will give the heavey bullet a miss,the rifle shots 0.5 MOA 90% of the time if i do my part the best load by far in the Styer SSG police is as follows-

52 grain A-max
39.2 grains of H380
CCI 200 primer
Norma case
head seated 0.15mm from the rifling

I have messed around with Varget and i just couldnt get it to work.

Heavy bullets aren't everything. They can be fired a little farther and drift a little less than the lighter ones.
db

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.