22-250 speed

I shot 52 gr AMAX and SMKs at 4074 fps in a 26" barrel. I managed to get 55 gr pills out at 3974 fps. After 286 of the 52 gr bullets and 100 of the 55 gr bullets, the groups went from about .3-.4 range to .8-1" range. In light of that, I would not do that again. I had the same accuracy with 3600 fps, but shooting at 4000 just seemed cooler. Its so cool to burn out barrels quickly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Would you mind sharing what powder you used to achieve those velocities? Thats pretty dang close to 220 swift speeds. My dad has a ruger target in 22-250 and right now were using IMR-4895 w/40g btips at 4000fps. He wants to find a load with bigger bullet. He found out that 40g dont buck the wind to well...

Its not an 22-250 AI. Its standard. I was shooting 39gr H380 with the 52 SMKs, and I think 37.5 or 38 gr Varget with the 52 AMAX seated 0.005" into the lands. Well, when I started they were into the lands, now I cannot seat a 55 gr Berger to even reach the lands. Cases lasted about 3 firings with neck sizing only. Primer pockets are gone after that.

I dont see anywhere about anything being an AI in the previous 2 posters. Thats why I asked. If it was an AI, I could see those velocities being achieved quite easily. I'm just curious is all.

Thanks sewwhat89

so your telling me 4000fps and the barrel is shoot in 3-4 days pd shooting( 400 shots) so what is a safe speed, I can't afford replacing barrels every couple weeks

[ QUOTE ]
depends on the weight of the bullet, but don't go much higher than 3800fps.
good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 I also had excellent accuracy around 3680 fps with the AMAX. I could get groups in the half inch range at 200m with them. Best of luck!

3800 would be excellent if you can get there . 3700 was about max with 52gn Sierras in mine . Run the .22/250 hot and you'll spend half your life trimming cases .

to stay below 3800 means the lighter 40 gr bullets are out, have to stay with the 50-55 gr ones,probably the best wts anyway
It sounds like the problem is not on down the barrel but right at the start, which sounds more like powder burn out rather then damage caused by speed of the bullet

I was assuming you were talking about 50 - 52gn projectiles when I said 3800 FPS . You can drive 40 grainers over 4000 easily . Hot gases are what erode the barrel , not bullet speed or friction .
Think there is some evidence that fast , light bullet loads do erode the barrel more quickly but this is probably due to the use of faster burning powder with light projectiles . The difference in barrel life between 40 and 50 grainers in a .22/250 wouldn't be huge .
My manual shows a maximum charge of 38.5 gns Varget driving a 40 grainer at 4120 FPS so 4000 should be relatively mild thus extending barrel life .

Ok Thanks
I been trying 40 grers just to see how they worked, but was expecting the good load to be with a 50-55 gr bullet,I should of figured that larger load of powder would burn farther down the barrel and probably hotter causing more barel damage , I thought it had something to do with the speed of the bullet, so lets say I was shooting 52 gr bullet with 32 gr of H335 what would you guess barrel life to be,
I think everybody is tring of this subject and me so I prommise this to be my last question on speed

I don't have my book but how fast in the sierra book is 35.5 grains with a 52 grain BTHP shooting?

I only get about two three sometimes on two shots with this load. I am getting split necks regularly.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.