22-250 Remington

Rhinelander

I have just secured a 22-250 Remington, custom made bolt action rifle with a 22'' long 14 twist barrel. For the last 16 years, I have been calling in coyotes and harvesting them with a 12 gauge shotgun, 22 mag. rifle, and 17 remington, in which I recycle the coyote pelt.

I am looking for your suggestions on a bullet that will provide good harvesting results, while minimalize pelt damage. Does such a round exist for the 22-250????

Thank you for your help.

Does such a round exist for the 22-250????
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once in a while ...

I tried 40gr v-max and nbt's -make big wound going in and out sometimes.

You have to pick your shot and catch the coyote longways in order to expect no or very small exists.Just too much power w/a 22-250 ,the 17rem is the ticket ..

I use a 22-250 for 90% of my predator calling. The best load I have found for minimal pelt damage is the following:

55 gr. #1365 Sierra SPBT, 39.0 grs. Big Game, Win Brass, BR-2 Primer
3650 fps.-.5" @ 100 yds.

The 50 gr. Nosler BT's come in second, but you can still get a blow-up on the shoulder if your shot is not perfect. The BT's are a bit stouter than the V-Max's and the other more frangible bullets.

The 53 gr. TSX's will work as well, but no better than the trusty ol' Sierra's though.

The bottom line is that it is still a 22-250...........not the most fur friendly round.

Bob

011.jpg

2possepredatorbc1.jpg

Last edited:
I have taken a few with the 50 gr BT in my 22-250 and the exits through the slats is the size of a nickel. I shot one last year with the 60 gr PT (Inverted Texas Heart Shot) which was most impressive to me. I plan on using the 60 gr PT from here on out.
The most important thing to keep in mind, if you are hunting fur with a 22-250, stay away from the bones or else you will have a mess.

JD338

Any of the 52-53 grain hp match bullets;hornady, sierra, berger. If you hit them right you will only have a 22 cal entrance. Works great on yotes and bobcats.

If you don't hit them right the jacket fragments rip the pelt but it is easy to sew it up. I have even hit grey fox in the chest and the bullet not exit, but most of the time it messes the fox up pretty good. I usually shoot 33.0 grains of H4895.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.