22-250 Rem. COL question

earl1704

Loading 22-250 Remington Mdl. 700

COL (to the rifilings) is 2.67

Hornaday calls for 2.350 max

My depth of 2.67 can be acheived by using a Hornady 75 grain BT A-Max with the bullet still holding tight into the case.

Hornadys Loading book says a 75 gr will not stabilize in a 1-10 twist or slower.

I have a 1-14 twist in the Remington

This leaves the max bullet I should use a 55 gr. V-Max

The 55gn V-Max will seat to 2.61 securely

I can seat it a bit longer but you can pull the bullet out with your fingers.

Question: How "tight" must the bullet be in the case to build proper pressure?

Can the bullet be seated at any depth as long as the bullet dosent fall out of the case?

Since I cant set to the rifilings or just off the rifilings is "as close as I can get" the way to look at this?

I have a friend who shoots a custom Ruger #1 22-250 and one in a 6-284. He has all his single shot rifle ammo set so he can pull bullets out with his fingers. he has made some pretty good shots over the years so I'm inclined to think he is doing something right.

bullet seating has more to do with how rough you intend to handle your cartidges and if the rounds in the mag will stay together during recoil. It has little to do with allowing the bullet to build up pressure. However, there is one issue involving pressure and bullet seating: if you seat your bullets to the lands, you will increase your chamber pressure because the bullet is instantly forced to go to rifleing before allowing to gain speed.

Loading 22-250 Remington Mdl. 700

I have a 1-14 twist in the Remington

This leaves the max bullet I should use a 55 gr. V-Max

The 55gn V-Max will seat to 2.61 securely

I can seat it a bit longer but you can pull the bullet out with your fingers.

Question: How "tight" must the bullet be in the case to build proper pressure?

Can the bullet be seated at any depth as long as the bullet doesn't fall out of the case?

Since I cant set to the rifling or just off the rifling is "as close as I can get" the way to look at this?

You may find that the 55 grain V-Max is too long for best accuracy.

The 55 V-Max is longer than the 55 soft points, and some guns don't give best groups with the 55 gr V-Maxs and Blitzkings.

If you have large groups, try the 50 grain V-Maxs.

Sometimes the 55 will not work in 1-14". I spent a long time trying to bet my 22-250 to shoot the 55s I finally gave up and went to 52g and the group tightened. Shoot the 52-53 first. If you want heavy bullets, get a 6mm.

I'm pretty new to reloading myself so take what I have to say with a gain of salt. It seems to me in all the reading that I have done that the general rule of thumb is to seat the bullet at least the caliber size. So in your case you would want to seat the bullet .22" down the case neck. As for OAL, the OAL listed in the reloading manual is for SAMI standards. In my limited experience I've found that I can usually get about another .2-.4" from listed loads to achieve my Max OAL. If you were to reload to the standards listed in your reloading manual the finished round should work in any rifle. Once you deviate for those standards at all, your finished round can be fired safely through your rifle and your rifle only.

400bull

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts