22-250 load ????

elkstalker300

Just got a 22-250 to try to satisfy my shooting habit without shooting the barrel out of my 300 RUM. Anyway I have a couple of questions, I have a bx of 50 grn Hornady Vmax bullets and just loaded 35 grns of Varget powder behing them. Chrono says 3593 fps. Does any one have a pet load using this combo? Also when I got the rifle I bought 2 boxes of winchester 45 grn hollow points. Just to get to shoot and then start with that brass for reloading. When I started reloading them out of 40 cases I had to throw 4 of them away because the neck was split dwn to the shoulder. Is this common with winchester brass? these were stock factory loads. I have never had that happen with remington brass with my 300 and actually have never seen brass split like that

you'll have a blast with a good ole '250'. Have taken many yotes, pd's, and even let my wife shoot deer w/ it. Some good loads that i have worked up over the years are Sierra 55 gr BTHP w/ 38 gr WIN 760 going about 3520, could go faster but these shoot extremely well. I also like the 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip with 38.5 gr H414 going about 3500 as well. And one more is the 40 gr VMax, I got em going about 4050 fps, but accuracy is about .75 - 1 " as opposed to the low .3 and .4's with the other loads. The vmax's are in front of 39 gr Varget.

It is a remmy VS w/ 26" tube, trigger job, and a 6.5 X 20

hope this helps.

oh yeah, about the brass, I havent had much problem with winchester brass, except in this caliber. I experience some of your problem with the neck splitting, but is usually after at least 2 firings with some pretty snappy loads. Your problem seems extreme with my experiences.
???????

Pet load with my 22-250. 35 gr. Benchmark 50 grain sierra blitzking, this load being pretty stout in my gun. A friends load using the vmax and 34.5 gr. Varget in his Savage. Remember to please work your way up in these loads. My little disclaimer....:) Sounds like your velocity is pretty good however we don't know what length barrel you have. We have not run his over a chrono yet in his 26" barrel Savage.

The brass I have been using is Win. and have not experienced what you have until 3-4 loadings, then run into the occasional split neck.

You will like the 250!

1kstr

ps. I also have a 300RUM, like that too!

22-250

My Savage shoots the 50 gr. v max the best with 36.5 grains of imr 4350. I know it's not long range, but at 100 meters had 8 out of 9 covered by a quarter.

22-250 load

35.5 of benchmark; win brass; win primer ; 50 grain baltip. next best load was both 50 and 55 with h-380. mine is rem vssf with a 14 twist if you have a faster twist or want to try a heavier bullet like a 60 grain v-max i would start with h-380 it is slower burning. the brass i have came out of a bag and i have had no problems. lapua doesn't make 22-250 brass ( dern) ; and nosler did not make it when i bought the brass.

22-250 load

I shoot a Winchester m70 HV with a 8.5-25 x 50 Leupold. This is the 3rd 22-250 I have owned and the most accurate. I shoot a 50 gr VMAX over 36.0 gr of IMR 4895 for 3800 fps.

My friend says it's haunted cause everything I point it at dies!!!!

Stosh

Hello, I shoot a 22-250 Tikka T-3 Varmint.

My favorite hunting load is a 50 grain V-max , H-380, Norma brass and CCI primer. I like H-380 its a ball powder and it flows through your powder dispenser like water.

I have had this gun a couple of years and have a Leupold VX-II 6-18 target knob scope. Have shot coyotes, 1 badger, 1 deer and a few digger squirrels. The furthest kill I have made so far with it is 635 yards on a rockchuck in 12 mile an hour winds.

My most accurate load is a 52 gr Sierra Match King, BTHP. Same powder, casing and primer as my hunting load.

Thinking about getting new dies, I do not like my RCBS dies. Thinking maybe Lee or Foresters.

Last edited:
check your COAL (CALIBER OVER ALL LEGNTH)

Just got a 22-250 to try to satisfy my shooting habit without shooting the barrel out of my 300 RUM. Anyway I have a couple of questions, I have a bx of 50 grn Hornady Vmax bullets and just loaded 35 grns of Varget powder behing them. Chrono says 3593 fps. Does any one have a pet load using this combo? Also when I got the rifle I bought 2 boxes of winchester 45 grn hollow points. Just to get to shoot and then start with that brass for reloading. When I started reloading them out of 40 cases I had to throw 4 of them away because the neck was split dwn to the shoulder. Is this common with winchester brass? these were stock factory loads. I have never had that happen with remington brass with my 300 and actually have never seen brass split like that

maybe your bullets are touching the lands of the barrel best to load the 22-250 at a jump of 0.010 of an inch sounds to me that you have a lot of presure building up,.if you dont know how to do this email me back...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.