22-250 load with 65 gr Sierra Game Kings

philsummers21

Anyone have any loads for the 22-250 with the 65 grain sierra Gamekings? I cant find anything anywhere for them. Im wanting to try them in my savage 1-12 twist to see if they will fly or not. Im loading up some so my daughter can shoot a deer this year with it. She is only comfortable shooting my 22-250 so I don't want to hear anything about this caliber and deer. In Wyoming it is legal to shoot a deer with a 22cal bullet as long as it is over 2" and a 60grain + bullet. So im open to other deer loads as well that fit into this category.

Just need some starting and max loads along with which powders/bullets seem to do well.

I have a Hodgdon 26 edition that list a section with 60-64 gr bullets for the 22-250 and you can use the start loads and work up for a 65 gr. What powders do you have that are suitable for the 22-250? This manual list Hodgdon, IMR, Winchester and RL powders.

Pretty much access to all but winchester powders. Have a ton of varget if it will work. Be nice to have a rifle that likes it

Im trying to develop the same load for my TC 22-250 (also 1:12") I have some loaded up with 34, 34.5, and 35 grains of imr 4064. I am also making them as long as I can to fit in the magazine. I have a feeling that I may end up somewhere around 36-36.5 grains but I am going to be very careful moving up to that hot of a load. I havent shot any yet so I have no idea how they shoot but 4064 is everywhere right now and seems to shoot very similar to Varget with the 22-250s and varget is nowhere to be found. With my 55 grn bullets 4064 shoots awesome.

My back up plan if these don't shoot well is to switch to 60grn partitions. I have heard good things about them. A guy I know took an antelope at 480 with a 1:14" 22-250 using these and it dropped like a sack of bricks.

A forum I posted in "deer hunting" a few weeks ago titled "22-250 bullet for deer" might be of some help.

I was choosing the gameking over the partition because of higher bc and also I can't find any of the partitions available

If you want to use Varget, which is a very good 22-250 powder according to my buddy that uses it in his 22-250 with 55 grs bullets. After doing a little extrapolating looking at my Sierra manual for their 63 gr bullet I would start at 30 grs and work toward 33 grs with the 65 gr bullets. It list a load with Varget for the 63 gr as being the suggested hunting load. If you put one of those 65s leaving the muzzle between 3300 & 3400 fps out to a fur-piece just behind the shoulder you will have a dead deer. :D

Thank you. This is kinda what I was looking for. 30-33 huh. Talked with on guy he said he is running 35
8 of varget for the 65gr

Well ended up buying a box of bullets. Will see how varget and H380 do. Hopefully the 1:12 will stabilize them. Will report back

I use 33 grains of Varget with that exact bullet, lapua brass, and wolf lr primers. Very accurate. Remington 700 with 24" 9 twist barrel.

Thanks for the reply. I actually settled on 33.5 gr of varget as well with cci standard primers. It will work for this year but gonna try different primers eventually. Shoots just under a 1/2 moa out of my savage with 1 in 12

36gr of reloader 17 and the 65gr game king shoots very accurately in my model 12 at 3300 fps. This combo shoots in the .2s and .3s all day long in my rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.