22.250 info/NEWBIE

first time posting been reading alot on here and found lots of good info. I plan on goin shooting here the next few days I recently purchased a barely used rem 700 22-250, its not one of the newer models, it actually just says model 700, it has a 26 inch barrell, stainless fluted, from I can find, since iam not sure of exact model I believe it to be a 1:14 twist, and from what I have been reading it should like bullet weights below 55. For now I will be shooting factory ammo, Ihave a box winchester 55gr ballistics tip sup,1 box of hornady 50gr vmax, ANY sugg on any others to try? I have shot 3, 3 shot groups with the both, it seemed to like the winchesters better. but this is gonna be my first time really being able to put forth all my attn at the range with this gun. The down side is the scope with my combo, its a simmons pro hunter 6-18, it seemed like the turrets my have been a little sticky the first time I shot it, I have been reading all the reviews I can trying to get the best scope within my $ range under $500. and I hope to get into reloading my own and seeing what Iam capable of doing with this gun. thanks for any info anyone can give.

Some rem 22-250's shoot extremely well with factory ammo, others I've had needed handloads to shoot their best.

My suggestion, try what you've got first. and like you said, give it your utmost attention and try it on a calm day...............you might be pleasantly suprised.

Try to shoot groups at 200 or 300 yds. If it will shoot good at 300, odds are very good it will still shoot good at 500.

If it's what you expect and you aren't happy with the scope, by all means replace it...........I don't know of any "real quality" scopes that are under $500, but I am one of those that believe you get what you pay for (generally) with optics.

Last edited:
I been looking @ the bushnell 4200 series, havent seen/read really any bad outta them. I am hoping I can atleast have some fun with the simons. Iam goin to start @ 200 and have access upto 600, but thats another day.

I been looking @ the bushnell 4200 series, havent seen/read really any bad outta them. I am hoping I can atleast have some fun with the simons. Iam goin to start @ 200 and have access upto 600, but thats another day.

I too have heard mostly good about the Elite line. I even considered trying them back when they were Baush and Lomb (Bushnell bought them I think).

I used to see them on comp benchrest guns and I've heard some guys say that they think the glass is clearer than the leupolds...........I am sure it depends on which leupold you get, because the new VX-7's are quite amazing I promise, But they are up in the NightForce price category too.

good luck!:)

Since I am on a budget most of the time, you have access to a ton of really good scopes for $500. Falcon Menace, Bushnell Elite 4200's (I've used the tactical model and is very good), Nikon Buckmaster (I've owned 2 of these. Still have the 4.5-14x40 and very happy with it. I did own the 6-18x40, but sold it to fund the purchase of a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44.) Vortex Viper, Leupy VXIII's, Weaver, and many more. You could probably get into a Nikon Monarch which are very good scopes also. Millet scopes should get a look too. Have fun with it!

Tank

I've been in the market for a scope upgrade also. Pretty much have made my decision. My advise is go look through as much glass as you can. You will find everyone has there own favorites. Looked through a friends elite 6500 and didn't think the glass was much better than my under $200 simmons. (Made me think more about opinions) Huge $ difference though. Nikon Monarch seems to have good glass at moderate price. But that's me. Get your hands on what you can, and "SEE" for yourself. Remember, after you lay your money down, the only opinion that matters is yours.

went and shot a few rounds after our coyote hunt. I shot a 3 shot group @ 100 yards, all 3 were within an 1 1/2 on a horizontal line a bit high and right made corrections and shot twice more both 1/4 inch apart dead center. moved out to 200 doubled up dead center was really suprised at how well it shot. after that I was out of my win 55 grain ballistic tips, so I shot my 50 grain win ballistic tips, I let the barrel cool for a few minutes before I shot and my group really opened (up 3 inches). could 5 grains make that big of a difference, or was it from fouling or.. ?
this was kind of a hurry up shooting session, but fun nontheless.

my rem 22-250's really shoot. in that price i range i like the 4200 6-24. also the vortex 6-24x44.

If the Simmons you have will hold its zero, then keep shooting it while you research and save for the scope you really want.

Expensive scopes are the cheap ones you buy and have to replace next year because you realize it wasn't what you needed.

Fortunately, 22-250 should be pretty much point blank to nearly 350 yds on coyotes if memory serves me correctly.

If the Simmons you have will hold its zero, then keep shooting it while you research and save for the scope you really want.

Expensive scopes are the cheap ones you buy and have to replace next year because you realize it wasn't what you needed.

Fortunately, 22-250 should be pretty much point blank to nearly 350 yds on coyotes if memory serves me correctly.

+1!!

Cheap tools always cost more in the long run. IMO, scopes are no different.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned Burris, but they used to make really decent scopes for the $'s. I am assuming that is still the case. You can get a Signature Select for around 5 bills, or for a few more bills you can get their top tier Black Diamond. Quite a few people claim to really like their Nikon Monarchs too.

Another +1 for the 22-250 being point blank on coyotes to 350. If you sight in correctly with most normal weight bullets, you can "hold on hair" to 350 yds.........might be holding low at 150 and high at 350, but still on hair.

You may find this funny, all of you, but since you can not find the Win supreme 40 grainers anymore, go to Wal-mart and get a 40 round box of the usa 45grn hp's, 29$ a box, they are manufactured by winchester, I have used these with good luck, with some 1/2 moa or less 5 shot groups at 100, I get them for the brass and as plinker rounds, but they are pretty violent on grond hogs and even whitetail neck shots to 200. With that slow of a twist I would bet money that 35-50 grainers will group the best, most remingtons are a 14 twist, but like I had mentioned in another post mine is a 12 twist and it still performs its best with 40grn noslers at 4220.

Oh I forgot to mention, the 6-18x40 nikon buckmaster with the standard nikoplex is alot better than the elite 4200s, the nikons hold poi consistently, and tracking is great with that model, it is the only buckmaster with 1/8 moa adjustments. I say this because a friend has a 4-16x50AO elite 4200 on a kimber 204 and gets mad and wants to wrap it aroud a tree every time we go ground hog hunting. I had to finish off 3 that he wounded last year because it wont hold poi. If you want to spend a little more the 6-24x50 vortex viper or 5-20/6-24x50 nikon monarch, also as mentioned the burris' aren't bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.