22-250 for Hogs ?

SouthPawShooter

Guy's I will be going on a hog hunt this spring and was wandering if my AR-15 in 22-250 will work for killing hogs? Do any of you guy's use a 22-250 if so what size and type of bullet do you use?

Not no but HELL no...... If it's a pint size Arizona Hog maybe. A domesticated, gone wild, hog is another matter. Good may to get hurt! It is always better to "over caliber" than "under caliber" on hogs. Good Luck and post pictures of the hunt.......

Every body has an opinion and you can never have too much gun for hogs, but....

I know a lot of guys here in TX that shoot hogs with a .223. One of my best buddies has some pet loads he runs thru his Ar that he developed just for hogs and he shoots them out to 300 yards .

Another friend loves his 22-250 on hogs, but he likes to put it just behind the ear.

I would say it depends on how you are going to be hunting. If you are going to be in a stand or blind, can pick your shot, a 22-250 will be fine. If you are going to be stalking and need to drop it then and there, maybe not.

I agree with Bobby. I know a lot of friends back home who hunt with them but from a stand were you can pick your shot. If your hunting from a stand than put it in their ear hole and they will drop. If your not hunting from a stand bump up. Just my two cents.

Well said Bobby B

I'll add that if you are in a stand in poor light, depending on your scope it can get a lot harder to see the anatomy of the pig well, and maybe hard to see your crosshairs as well. If that is the case, putting one right behind the ear may be a bit challenging. A heavier caliber will give you a little more wiggle room for where you can put the bullet ( from behind the ear to the front shoulder) and still have the desired outcome and give you better odds of not having to track a shot hog.

Now all that said, I am wanting a .338 Win Mag just to see if I can shoot one from the bum to his nose, or the other other way around. Just a gun I have always wanted and something I have always wanted to try.

LOL!

I have a 45-70 with some buffalo bore rounds that is supposed to be capable of doing just that, haven't tried it yet though.

You know I once shoot a squirrel from bum to head with a Marlin 45-70 but it was really hard to tell what happened it was one heck of an enema for him I am sure LOL. I would like to shoot a Rabbit or a possum with a 338 Edge or 50 Cal that would be messy. But back to my question i was reading were Winchester just come out with some Ammo for hogs in 223 cal in 62gr and 308 in 150gr SWo i figered if a 223 can do it then my 22-250 should be able to.

You know I once shoot a squirrel from bum to head with a Marlin 45-70 but it was really hard to tell what happened it was one heck of an enema for him I am sure LOL. I would like to shoot a Rabbit or a possum with a 338 Edge or 50 Cal that would be messy. But back to my question i was reading were Winchester just come out with some Ammo for hogs in 223 cal in 62gr and 308 in 150gr SWo i figered if a 223 can do it then my 22-250 should be able to.

It can and will.

I dont know any specifics, but I think my buddy is using an 89 grn bullet in his pet .223 hog loads.

FWIW, IMHO, I believe that the only bullet of choice for taking hogs with small calibers is a Barnes TSX. It is one tough bullet and you'll get a devastating wound channel and maximum penetration. As long as you aim at a somewhat vital area the bullet should reach it and the hog will die. He might run for a while, but it will kill him.
I grew up north of Larado, TX in peanut country and hunted hogs 3 nights a week for years, had keys to all the gates to all the farms. Farmers told me to keep the hogs out. I've taken hogs with .357 (rifle) .44 mag (rifle), 45-70 (good hog gun), and most with a 30-30. The farthest shot was about 7-8 yards (we hunted with dogs). I had many seasoned friends tell me that they've had .357's hit a charging hog in the head and deflect off its skull. If you're shooting out of a stand like the others mentioned, go ahead with your 22-250, but I warn you, if you're stalking these guys or chasing with dogs you're really gonna with you had something in your hands that will DRT. A 22-250 will kill a hog with the TSX, but it might plow through you and your buddies before it dies. Some hogs flee when shot... others just get ****ed.
Good luck with your hunt if you're planning on eating it get a sow!

I have shot hundreds of hogs with a 22-250. Some out to 300 yards or further. You had to be very careful with shot placement to bring them down where they stood. They all died, some took longer than others. You would not find a gut shot hog! But if you took your time an ear or heart shot worked everytime. I shot a Sierra 55 grain HPBT.

The caliber will be fine with proper bullet construction and shot placement. Where did you get an AR15 in .22-250? Pretty sure they never made one. :rolleyes: AR-10 would work or .223 WSSM in a 15.

Guy's I will be going on a hog hunt this spring and was wandering if my AR-15 in 22-250 will work for killing hogs? Do any of you guy's use a 22-250 if so what size and type of bullet do you use?

I would do it. Use a 75gr Berger, or 68gr Hornady.
Question though, is that an AR-10 platform or AR-15?
Even face to face you should have at least 10 rds.
And if your bag limit is greater than one:)

I know if I went I'd take an AR with a Aimpoint on it.
Have fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts