22-250 for deer

Reading this thread reminds me of a guy asking me why I'd take one of my bass fishing rods with 17 pound test to the ocean on a recent blue fishing trip. He pointed out the endless setups that would be just that little bit better, and all the reasons why. After listening for a while I politely interrupted and said, "Look, I have it - I'm used to it - I like using it, and it does the job quite well." Then I proceeded to outcatch his big, bad rod setup at nearly 2 to 1 on the water that day.

The point being that the indian is virtually always more important than the arrow. If you're a good indian then hunt deer with whatever you know well and whatever kills them and whatever you enjoy carrying. If you're a bad indian then don't go deer hunting, because bigger, badder guns aren't a crutch for lack of ability.

The .22-250 is a fine deer cartridge. I'll even go further and say that's it's an above average deer cartridge with any good, tough bullet that hits where you aim it in the hands of anyone with any reasonable idea on the cartridge's limitations and where to place the bullet.

Happy hunting. :)

There is very little size difference in a .224 bullet and a .243 bullet (.019). So why does that make a 22-250 a bad deer gun. just my 2 cents but to me the type of bullet you shoot in the 22-250 is the only factor between a varmint rifle and a deer rifle. The same can be said about a 243. A 70 gr speer TNT HP is not a good choice of bullet to shoot deer with but people still do it. What about a 243 55 gr bullet, does that mean its ok to shoot deer with just because its a .243 bullet?

I don't understand why people get so wound up about the case your using to push your bullet with, I have yet to have a case jump out of my rifle and go down range to try to kill an animal. :rolleyes: Properly placed BULLETS do the killing, you push a hunting style bullet and stay within it's opperating velocity you will kill things no problem.

Reading this thread reminds me of a guy asking me why I'd take one of my bass fishing rods with 17 pound test to the ocean on a recent blue fishing trip. He pointed out the endless setups that would be just that little bit better, and all the reasons why. After listening for a while I politely interrupted and said, "Look, I have it - I'm used to it - I like using it, and it does the job quite well." Then I proceeded to outcatch his big, bad rod setup at nearly 2 to 1 on the water that day.

The point being that the indian is virtually always more important than the arrow. If you're a good indian then hunt deer with whatever you know well and whatever kills them and whatever you enjoy carrying. If you're a bad indian then don't go deer hunting, because bigger, badder guns aren't a crutch for lack of ability.

The .22-250 is a fine deer cartridge. I'll even go further and say that's it's an above average deer cartridge with any good, tough bullet that hits where you aim it in the hands of anyone with any reasonable idea on the cartridge's limitations and where to place the bullet.

Happy hunting. :)

Very well said.
I remember when I was 5 I could take on all the bad guys in the world with my trusty BB gun. Part was the imagination of a 5 year old, and part was because I never knew I couldnt. Growing up on the ranch I was always sneakin up on something. Grandma's Chickens, Canada Geese, Starlings etc. all fell to my BBgun. Ask a goose hunter if its possible to kill a goose with a BBgun and youll likely get a simmilar response as some to this thread. 12ga 3'' min with alot of recomendations for 3 1/2's......hmmm compare that to a BBgun for energy........... Ya...... Indian, not the arrow. I like that quote.
22-250 a Good idea? probably not. Will it work in the right hands? YEP. Would I recomend it? probably not. Would I try it if I thought I could pull it off and was aware of its limmitations? Heck ya I would.
Go for it, and lemme know what you come up with. Id like to give er a whirl with my 223wssm:Dgun)

Very well said.
I remember when I was 5 I could take on all the bad guys in the world with my trusty BB gun. Part was the imagination of a 5 year old, and part was because I never knew I couldnt. Growing up on the ranch I was always sneakin up on something. Grandma's Chickens, Canada Geese, Starlings etc. all fell to my BBgun. Ask a goose hunter if its possible to kill a goose with a BBgun and youll likely get a simmilar response as some to this thread. 12ga 3'' min with alot of recomendations for 3 1/2's......hmmm compare that to a BBgun for energy........... Ya...... Indian, not the arrow. I like that quote.
22-250 a Good idea? probably not. Will it work in the right hands? YEP. Would I recomend it? probably not. Would I try it if I thought I could pull it off and was aware of its limmitations? Heck ya I would.
Go for it, and lemme know what you come up with. Id like to give er a whirl with my 223wssm:Dgun)

i agree,kinda like folks saying a 410 isnt a good bird gun or 30-06 isnt big enuff for elk(been told this alot)bigger isnt better its how you use it.but then maybe a 338rum for deer?or 375 for yotes?

I haven't posted in awhile, but I thought that I would post on this topic. My son will start his second deer hunting season and he uses "his" 22-250. Although I should point out that his 250 has been rebarreled and now wears a Pac-Nor #5 taper SS 1-8" twist finished at 25" and let me tell you that shooting 75 gr. A-Max's is the cat's meow for the ole' 250. Last year he shot his first deer on his old barrel (1-14") and we used 55 gr. Rem core loct's, they did just fine. 125 yds. through the boiler room. I can't wait to see what this year will do with those A-Maxes!
I load for him and 36.0 grs of H100V on top of CCI-400 gets him roughly 3250 fps. w/ those 75'ers!

I have lived in California for 30+ years after growing up in Tucson. I have killed many blacktailed deer here with 30-06, 25-06 and yes, my 22-250.
I have cleanly killed these deer to about 225yds (before rangefinder) with 55grn SMKs. Out to 100yds I use the head/neck shot from a solid bench type rest. Past that distance the standard shot is through the lungs behind the front leg. Do not attempt to shoot through the shoulder! I like using my 22-250 because it is very accurate and I like not losing a lot of blood shot meat. I hunt in the mountains and most of my shots have been less than 150yds. If I hunt in areas where I have the possiblity of taking a shot at a longer distance my next favorite rifle is my
25-06.

I haven't shot or used any of the Barnes .224 bullets but use them exclusively in my .30s and have had nothing but excellant accuracy and performance. I think that trying the Barnes .224s should be part of your workup for the 22-250 and deer.

I have always used a bullet that shoots tighter groups rather than speed. After accuracy, performance becomes the second factor that I look for.

As with all other posts, this is my two cents worth.

Good Luck and Good Hunting!!!!!

Solution is simple to me. If you can't talk the fellow out of using his 22-250 and you think that he should use a larger caliber rifle. Don't load any ammo for him. If he don't have ammo he will have to use something else. The 55 gr Sierra Game King is a pretty tough bullet for a 22 cal.

Go for it, this cartidge keeps on doing more than I can believe, I have guided deer hunters for 50 years, and taken close to 100 myself and the 22 250 never lost a deer, in my hands or clients, the ONLY caliber that can say this, only thing w/long range is wind and mirage and an experienced long range shooter can easily adjust. I'm tired of BIG BORE SISSIES, come on with the guns that work in the hands of competent shooters.

I have killed many mule dear with a .222. Most of them were taken between 50 to 100 yards. At the time I had a choice of using the .222 which grouped sub 1/2" at 100 yards or a .250-3000 which grouped 2" at 100 yards. At the distances I was was shooting either would have probably worked, but I'll take accuracy over bigger any day given the choice between the two.

Would I prefer to use a .222 or a .22-.250 to take a deer today? Probably not. Hunting pressures are much greater today. Many roads which use to be open are now closed forcing people to hunt in more confined areas. Where I live the wolves have decreased the game population and made them very skittish. Under the hunting conditions which I am presented with lately, I have been using a .308 for mule deer.

For whatever it is worth my father and my grandfather used .22 Hi-Powers to hunt deer before WII. At the time from what I have heard using the .22 Hi-Power was a common practice for taking deer. The pictures of some of their hunting trips showed a dozen and a half deer hanging up. So they must have been doing something right at the time.

I shot my biggest buck yet last year with my 223 and a 50gr varmint grenade. i wasn't planning on doing this but we were going out for yotes and a buck decided to chase a doe right in front of us. safe to say i was a little excited. I got lucky and drop him dead. however i had made up some 60gr nosler partitions specifically for deer hunting and i didn't have them with. ;) well i got lucky but shot placement is critical for small calibers. We found the base of the bullet in and around the spine. I shot a bit high but i was lucky. he was easy over 220 lbs.

i would say that if you are a good enough shot and have patience for the right opportunity the 22-250 could be lots of fun. I look at it like catching a master angler on 6lb test. Lots of fun

most of the time i use my 7mm rem mag
if a fish breaks your line it will probably survive. there is no comparison.

vssf i have never shot a group over an inch with it. with any load or bullet. i don't even use lapua brass or match primers. win brass and win primers. considering using it on coues in oct. the are dinky
a 2in group with a 60 gr n.p. which will penetrate woulb be better than a 50 gr that would not. why dont we hve 'fun' getting a deer we want dead quickley rather than risk a lingering death. is it more important to have fun or be ethical. do tou know the recommended energy for deer and what the energy for 50 gr bullets is at over 200 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.