22-250 for deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 7mmpoppy, Jun 2, 2010.

1. 7mmpoppy

7mmpoppy Active Member

My brother is going to hunt deer and possibly antelope with his 22-250........
    With all of our other rifles avail. this is his favorite and I can't talk him out of it soooo...
    I am looking for a 55gr bullet that is up to the task. I would love to use a 55grTSX
    but shooting a 1-14 twist can't go above 50gr.
    Give me the what for if you wish, but I need a bullet to do the job, the deer is worth it. I don't usually take this into consideration, but, we are shooting blacktail
    deer here so not talking 300 lb whitetails.
    If I can't find a 55gr. I will go with 50gr tsx.
    Any and all thoughts please...............

2. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Well-Known Member

how about a 30 caliber bullet?
    I think it to be foolish to take a 22-250 for deer when he already has larger calibers

3. The 22-250 is a very good deer cartridge. I'd go with a well constructed bullet that'll penetrate a bit before it breaks up - something like a Nosler Partition or one of the solid copper bullets.

4. R.C.Saul

R.C.Saul Well-Known Member

I have been using a 52gr match bthp from sierra and/or hornady for whitetail, antelope, & mule deer in both Tx & NM. Shots were all under 400, and all animals dropped in their tracks. Using a moderately hot load out of sierra handbook. If I remember right in using win 760 powder. It's worked on 30+ animals

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  5. neutral

neutral Active Member

I shot my biggest buck yet last year with my 223 and a 50gr varmint grenade. i wasn't planning on doing this but we were going out for yotes and a buck decided to chase a doe right in front of us. safe to say i was a little excited. I got lucky and drop him dead. however i had made up some 60gr nosler partitions specifically for deer hunting and i didn't have them with. ;) well i got lucky but shot placement is critical for small calibers. We found the base of the bullet in and around the spine. I shot a bit high but i was lucky. he was easy over 220 lbs.

i would say that if you are a good enough shot and have patience for the right opportunity the 22-250 could be lots of fun. I look at it like catching a master angler on 6lb test. Lots of fun

most of the time i use my 7mm rem mag

6. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I've shoot a truck load of deer with a 22-250 using the cheap bulk Remington soft point in 52gr with a 1-14 twist Rem 788. Works real good in the right ranges!

7. 7mmpoppy

7mmpoppy Active Member

I told him the very same! But he's gonna take the 250 so want all the bullet we can get.......

8. blipelt

blipelt Well-Known Member

I don't own a 22-250 anymore but if memory serves me:

55gr ballistic tip
    35grs. win 748

put them at around 3450fps

I sighted in at 300yds put me about 18" low at 450yds.

I put alot of coyotes, whitetail does, and a 140 class whitetail buck down with this load. I also tried the 60gr partition but never could get them to group well.

Brent

9. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

i bet it will shoot the 60 nosler partition just great. also the 60 balistic tipp

10. 7mmpoppy

7mmpoppy Active Member

Am I wrong that the ballistic tips these days are in 2 categories, varmint/big game.....? I think that all .22 are thin jacket varmint bullets.

11. 7mmpoppy

7mmpoppy Active Member

Nope, been there, done that...........55gr max for "typical" bullets, 50 for tsx, etc.....

12. roninflag

bullet stability depends on both speed and twist rate. i have shot both the 60 v-max and 60 balistic tip out of a winchester stealth, and a remington 700 vssf . they shot great. the partition i have not shot YET. but it is shorter has a lower bc and would be better for deer. is he shooting a savage or what make rifle is it?

13. 7mmpoppy

7mmpoppy Active Member

It's a rem. 700 vssf . 26in. 1-14 twist. all info I have read says 60 gr needs 1-12 or
    more depending on shape......... are you shooting 1-14?

14. roninflag

yes both the win stealth and the vssf are factory barrel they shoot the 60 vmax and the balistic tip into less than an inch at 100. a very stout load of h380, or benchmark. speed as well as twist rate and bullet length are factors. have not shot the partitionyet. buti have some