22-250 build help

I'm building a 22-250 now. You need to make a choice: Do you want to build a varmint rifle or a long range rifle. Both are very different.

Varmint - build using a 1 in 14" twist barrel, 26" long. That's probably the most efficient.

Long range - build using a 1 in 7" twist, 22-250AI will a 28" barrel. You can use some slower powder. Note that it has not been proven to me that a 26" barrel will not work just as well.

My $0.02.

Well its gonna be a long range varmint gun 500 to 600 yards coyote and ground hogs and in a year ill be going to kansas to hunt coyotes and prairie dogs at my buddies place thats y i said about a 28" barrel maybe 27" with 1 in 9" twist or so for more speed and accuarcy with the 53 grain vmax i just ordered

Hey you 22-250 guys I seen something about some guy giving away a few brass the title was something like "pay it forward" in the reloading section of the classifieds. Check it out lol :D

Yeah i know i am tempted by the 22-250 ai also i was think y rebarrel to factory 22-250 when you can get an a few extra fps for the same price of the barrel you were gonna buy

I have a custom 22-250 with a 'birdseye' maple stock cut by a relative 20+ yrs ago. This project was completed about 4 yrs ago. The smith asked questions as I was planning specifics. The plan was more or less a medium weigh bench gun shooting 50 grn bullets, prairie dogging for the most part.

He steered me to a 1-14' twist after asking about other options. I went with a medium contour 24" Shilen barrel, works for me.

The plan was more or less a medium weigh bench gun shooting 50 grn bullets, prairie dogging for the most part.

He steered me to a 1-14' twist after asking about other options. I went with a medium contour 24" Shilen barrel, works for me.

If you stick with the lighter bullets, a 14 twist will do just fine. I have seen comments by ballisticians from a couple of different bullet makers stating that 52g bullets are ideal for a 14 twist 22-250.

The problem is that the better varmint weight bullets are all too heavy/long to work well from a 14 twist. IMO, the 14 twist is obsolete and should be replaced by a 12 twist as the factory standard. My 12 twist Shilen shoots much better than the 14 twist barrel that it replaced. Granted, the Shilen is a better quality barrel than my previous barrel. However, it is shooting the 55g bullets very well. That is something that my 14 twist just would not do.

I can't wait to get my hands on some 53g VMAX's to see what they will do from my rifle. The 12 twist will also let me step up to the 60g Nosler Partition or the Nosler 64g bonded bullet if I need something a bit tougher. The extra flexibility of a 12 twist is worthwhile, IMO.

I know what you mean I shoot the 52 grain hpbt matchs and they shot great I ordered a box of the 53 grain vmax and I am debating if I wanna load them up or just save them till I get my barrel I want

I have a 1-10 twist krieger we used for my 22-250AI. I shoot 69 gr sierra match kings. It shoots them really well, with H4831. I now wish I would have went with a 1-7.7 twist for shooting the 80 grain a-max, as I think the 69 might be a little light for real long range shooting in .22 cal.

Im shooting 55 gr Hornadys with the factory barrel and have no complaints at all about accuracy. From what I understand 55 grains is right at the limit...which is why my 22-250 Stiller walking varminter is running a 1:10 Brux on it.

I have a 22-250 ackley improved with 27 inch barrel 1-14 twist but should have built it with a 1-12 to stablize 60 gr bullets.i tried superformance powder in it with 60 gr bullets and got 3755 fps with them no high preasure signs.honady 60 hp will stablize in 1-14 twist but not balistic tip bullets must us 1-12 for that.you must neck turn the cases or it will not shoot good because bullets are rated for 3400 fps and must enter barrel perfectly no thick or untrue case necks.fed 210 primers norma brass.also has side port varmint brake brownells.com.

how worth it is it to go with the 22-250 AI for an everyday varmint gun and sometimes doe in the head im limited to 400 yards right now but i wanna shoot longer range with it and a little heavier bullet

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts