22-250 and VLD's

COBrad

I'm considering re-barreling my Cooper 22-250 varmint weight with a fast twist to use VLD's for marmots out beyond 800 yards. Doesn't seem to be load data or talk about these bullets in this case anywhere. Any one have any experience with this combination?

I'm considering re-barreling my Cooper 22-250 varmint weight with a fast twist to use VLD's for marmots out beyond 800 yards. Doesn't seem to be load data or talk about these bullets in this case anywhere. Any one have any experience with this combination?

You may want to talk with Kevin Weaver at Weaver Rifles Web He's in your neck of the woods, Peyton CO. I was just over at his place and he is working up some 90gr & 80gr VLD's in a 22x47 that he has in the works. He's always a able to talk, I'm sure he could help you out.

The only experience I have is with the 75 gr Amax. I have a 1-8 barrel and it does well with them.

I havent tried pushing anything heavier in it because the Amaxs have everything that I need (cheap, BC and the shoot great)

The heavies will turn the 250 into a beast.

I've built several, for customers, using 1-8 twist barrels. Most want the .22-250 Ackley for the added case capacity and a bit better case life. That combo fits a Rem. SA mag box without alteration. The .22-243 is big in this part of the country. Easy to make cases for and load. Best thing for that is to just go ahead and install the extended mag box 'cause, sooner or later, you'll want t o try some VLDs that are just too long for the std. box length.

Last edited:
I rebarreled a Savage 110FP from 25-06 to 22-250 with a Shilen 1 in 8 twist barrel that I got from Midway. I have been very pleased with the accuracy with a wide range of bullets. I am shooting a mild load of Ramshot Hunter (35.3 Grains) at about 2950 FPS with a Berger 75 VLD touching the lands. My son and I have shot three whitetails with them this year ( one was my biggest buck to date) and they perform just as the larger calibers on game. Ranges from 90 yards to 269 yards.
The Bergers and the A-maxs shoot to the same POI in my rifle with about the same degree of accuracy. I still need to do some more load development and push them a little faster and see what happens.
I have also shot some 55 GR Sierra Game Kings and Barnes 53 gr TSX at around 3700 FPS with H4895 and they shot really well also.
It shoots heavies and lighter bullets good so far, I was afraid it was going to spin the lighter ones apart in flight but the have been holding up so far.
It is a fun rifle to shoot with minimal recoil.

I rebarreled a Savage 110FP from 25-06 to 22-250 with a Shilen 1 in 8 twist barrel that I got from Midway. I have been very pleased with the accuracy with a wide range of bullets. I am shooting a mild load of Ramshot Hunter (35.3 Grains) at about 2950 FPS with a Berger 75 VLD touching the lands. My son and I have shot three whitetails with them this year ( one was my biggest buck to date) and they perform just as the larger calibers on game. Ranges from 90 yards to 269 yards.
The Bergers and the A-maxs shoot to the same POI in my rifle with about the same degree of accuracy. I still need to do some more load development and push them a little faster and see what happens.
I have also shot some 55 GR Sierra Game Kings and Barnes 53 gr TSX at around 3700 FPS with H4895 and they shot really well also.
It shoots heavies and lighter bullets good so far, I was afraid it was going to spin the lighter ones apart in flight but the have been holding up so far.
It is a fun rifle to shoot with minimal recoil.

personally I like the 6/250AI better than a fast twist 22-250AI. With a 1:8 twist barrel you can shoot 105AMax's and 115 Seirras at 3000 fps (3100fps with the Amax). They stabalize very well, and are easilly good enough for 800+ yards (probably 1000 on a windless day). Cases are very easy to form out of generic 22-250 brass, and they fire form extremely well.
gary

The new Hornady #8 manual has load data for 80 Grain A-Max only B.C .473

Powder Load range speed
R-15 26.9-32.1 3100+ fps
IMR 4895 26.3-30.9 3000
H-414 31.0-36.0 3150

No published load exceeded 3150FPS for the 80's

Last edited:
What model Cooper ? I had a Mod 22 sporter weight bbl 22-250 AI 8" twist. It shot poorly except with Sierra 65gr GK. If your shooting a Cooper Varmint bull barrel I bet it would be sweet.

77gr lapua, 39.5grs H380 ,CCI 250 will get you about 3200 balistically very similar to 80grn berger vld but they work fine still if you jump them a little but better on the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts