.22-250 AI Primer Question

Doug in Alaska

Are those you who have been shooting the .22-250 AI for a while using large rifle primers or large rifle magnum primers? I have loading data which recommends using magnum primers for some loads and standard large rifle primers for others. Also, those of you who are chronographing your loads, how much of a velocity difference are you seeing when you compare your loads using magnum primers to those using standard primers?

Thanks,
Doug in Alaska

My 2 rifles in 22/243 AI shoots great with standard primers, The Cci 200.

22/243 AI brass has a greater capacity than 22-250 AI, but as long as my standard primer works the way they do (+500 rounds) I have no intention to make a change to magnum.

I have not testet magnum vs standard and cannot contribute with velocity diffrences...

If my memory is not all gone by inhaling gunsmoke, I believe that there is some/few powders that needs a magnum primer for reliable ignition but also some powders that should be avoided when using magnum primers...

Life is more simple with standard primers in this regard...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.