22-250 AI bullets come apart in flight

Iron Worker

Thought I had a good bullet Load combo. I was shooting 41.5grs of H4350 behind a JLK 65gr LD bullet. Some of the bullets grouped with in 1/2 MOA but I'd look closer at the target and some of the bullets key holed or turned into little pieces because there was a bunch of odd looking small holes. I'm shooting a Rock Creek 8" twist 5R BBL. My loads MV were average 3,680 FPS. Ok so I can't shoot a coyote with fragmented bullets. Hornady 75gr A-Max were unconsistant. What about Berger VLDs ? Will they hold together? Wanted to shoot bullets with High BC but if the bullets can't make it to the target in one piece????????

Sir, Remember that thread on Predator Masters on 1/18 titled "22-250 ackley vs 22-250 remington please help". I think you even posted on that thread about this subject. I asked this same question that you just did, about the high B.C bullets going at that velocity. The response I got, made me think twice about this combo.

DAA also reported that he experienced trouble after the throat was toast about 700 rounds. My question is how many rounds have you shot through this barrel. A guy that runs our 1000 yard matches shoots a 22-6mm AI with 80 gr MK'S and his bullets blow up in the same fashion, he said because the first few inches look like "dry lake bed" from firecracking.

Last edited:
Thought I had a good bullet Load combo. I was shooting 41.5grs of H4350 behind a JLK 65gr LD bullet. Some of the bullets grouped with in 1/2 MOA but I'd look closer at the target and some of the bullets key holed or turned into little pieces because there was a bunch of odd looking small holes. I'm shooting a Rock Creek 8" twist 5R BBL. My loads MV were average 3,680 FPS. Ok so I can't shoot a coyote with fragmented bullets. Hornady 75gr A-Max were unconsistant. What about Berger VLDs ? Will they hold together? Wanted to shoot bullets with High BC but if the bullets can't make it to the target in one piece????????

Iron Worker,
I am surprised that this is happening with a 5 groove barrel, this is normaly a 3 groove barrel thing.
The Bergers might work with their J4 jacket, but anything is better than Hornady's copper-butter jacket.
I have had this happen a few times with a fast twist barrel and the only cure is a Sierra Match King bullet they have a much tougher jacket and still have a very good B.C. try the 69gr,77gr or the 80gr SMK.
UB
p.s. how many rounds do you have down your barrel ??????????

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.