22-243?????

rotorhead

Heloo everybody been off for awhile.
I'm looking for a new round to play with . I'm wanting a fast 224.
I do some hunting up in South dakota and I'm looking for a good coyote gun to build. I have looked at the 22-250, 220Swift, the 243 the 6mm rem. I have decided to build a wild cat of some kind. I want to use a 224 round but I want a stout one. I have a mean 257 cal and I have a 223 for P-dogs. I want to be able to shoot some good distances 800 or so. I am thinking about a 22-243 type of some sort. I have never built a wildcat so, I need a little help, I have been reloading for years but have never messed with reforming cases I like to use top notch brass(Norma or Lapua). I have done some looking around and have seen the arguement about the AI and the Middlestead vs the plain vanilla. I might add I am looking to use the 69 and 80 grain seirras in this endever more than likely the focus will be on the 69's Any information on the subject of the cartridge or tips in forming cases would most helpful.

Thanks

If your main intrest is going to be the 69gr bullets then I'd look at the 22-250 Ai.
But if your wanting a realy long range .224 then the 22-243 would be a hell of a choice , I'd personaly get it in a 1-7 twist so I could shoot the new 90gr SMK and some of the 100gr custom bullets. either of these would get you to 1000yds easly.
As for the Ackley improving of the 22-243 , I dont think that your gonna see any differance in velocity due to it being so badly overbore already maybe longer caselife.

But in reality I think that I'd choose a 243 Ackley improved with a 1-8 twist , shoot the 105gr A-max for everything the terminal performance is pretty impressive and if you wanted to realy blow stuff up the 75gr V-max does damage at 500yds that the 22-250 and a 50gr V-max does at 250yds

JDjones, Thank you for your input. I already have a 1/4 bore that is very fast and able to go 1000yds if not I would look at the 243AI. The 22-243 looks like the choice for what I want to do.
Do you know what kind of velocities the 80gns are bringing in this cartridge?
If I understand you correctly you suggest just necking down the standard cartridge to 224 and leave the shoulder?
and if so could you just use a standard type S die with a bushing for what you would need? Can this be a one shot type sizing or would you have to step it down a time or two?
I have no experiance in necking down or case forming at all.
Thanks, RH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I never had a 22-243 but I have two 22-243 ackleys. My 30 inch barrel 8 twist will shoot the 80 grain a-max at 3650 with a stiff load of 7828 and laupa brass. My 26 inch 6.5 twist will shoot the 100 grain wildcats to 3300 fps. I do have to say that ackley improving the case does offer aditional velcioty if you have a barrel long engough to use the powder. If you really want that gun to rip coyotes apart I would go with the 80 grain a-max. To 1000 yards with 80's theres not much out that shoots much flatter to 1000 yards. Hope this helps take care

I have a 22-243 winchester. It is a standard neckdown with no shoulder mods. Mine has a 1in8 twist and shoots a 75gr A-max into a hole. The load is 48 grs Rel 25, fed.210, 75grA-max. It flies just under 3700fps. This is a very popular cartridge in northeastern Wyoming. It is very easy to load and shoots fast, far, and flat.

Thanks Cinch,
That sounds like to way to go the vel. is up with a nice long bullet.
How do you make the cases, is it a step down a little at a time or all in one? How do you form your cases?

I had a 22-243AI and currently have a 22-243 (plain). I really liked the AI version and would shoot the 75gr A-Max(moly) @ 3,668. It shot some incredible groups including a witnessed group of .625" @ 600yds. I used it primarily for longrange groundhoggin'.

I swithched to the 22-243 because I got tired of fireforming. However, I "huntformed" many of the 22-243AI cases and was able to shoot some .5"-.6" groups with 55gr forming loads.

Personally, I would not bother with such a large and addictive cartridge unless you are committed to bullets from 75gr on up. Anything less than 75gr would be much better suited to the 22-250AI, Swift or SwiftAI cases.

Good luck and enjoy

Hi i have a 22-250AI with a 6.8 twist barrel with the 90gr MatchKings i have to down load them in the 6.8 twist barrel so they do not blow up. The same barrel was chambered in 223 when new as a test of accuracy and velocity diferences with the exact barrel. The 223 and 90ge sierra's gave me a group .320 high and .685 wida at 300 yards and 4.1" high with 4 shots in 1" and 7.9" wide at 1000 yards all 5 shot groups. I have also shot the 90's out of an 8 twist in 22-250 and they worked perfectly. If i was you i would go with a 9 twist if you are going to shoot up to 80gr projectiles and an 8 twist if the 90's are on the menu. I also have a set of RCBS 22-243AI dies that i would be willing to sell if you do go for the 22-243AI.

Cheers Bill
Australia

That is the nice part. To form cases, you simply run them through the sizing die just like you would with fired cases. It is a one step deal that is no different than sizing a standard cartridge. Since you are only necking down one size, you don't need multiple steps, multiple dies, or fire forming. My dies are a Redding two die set. You are necking the case down so little, it doesen't feel any different than a normal sizing/depriming. It keeps the regular 243 Winchester shoulder so there is no fire forming in that aspect. I need to try the new 80gr Amax in my gun, but I hate to change anything with it since it shoots so good.

I appreciate all the good information. I believe I will go with cinch and varmint hunter on this one. The 75 to 80 sounds good with the plain old 22-243. Now all I need to do is build the gun. I like to build on sako actions but may try a Tikka 595 if I can find one.Thanks for all of your input. RH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chuck emails on the plink . I got your pictures and the rifle looks nice . I am leaving in an hour to go to alaska For work. I'll be back in a couple days. maybe the email will be working then

RH

Sounds good the rifle is yours if you want it. You got first dibs..

get in touch when you get back ..

Chuck

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.