22/243 rifle:

[quoteA 40 degree shoulder may "hide the signs of pressure" better... but that doesn't make it safe to shoot excessive pressure!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I have been trying to get across. It is hard to know if you are in the danger zone unless you have a pressure chamber or some other way to actually measure it. The other measure of chamber pressure that is pretty simple is case life. If you are losing cases in this caliber using Lapua brass, you are too high on pressure. Cases should outlast barrels in a torch like this.

Excuse me for asking, I am a little new to this forum. Isn't a 22-243 the same as a 22-250? A 243, 250 sav, 308... all use the same case.

my bad, I looked at the specs and see the difference now. the 250 is based off the 30-06 and the 243 is based off the 308. Thanks for bringing it to my attention
Britz

[ QUOTE ]
my bad, I looked at the specs and see the difference now. the 250 is based off the 30-06 and the 243 is based off the 308. Thanks for bringing it to my attention
Britz

[/ QUOTE ]

The 22-250 is actually based off of the 250-3000 Savage case not the 30-06.

Sorry for the misscommunication. What I meant was the 250-3000 savage was based off of the 30-06 and the 22-250 was based off the 250 savage (according the the number four nosler manual. I was admitting my error and realized that there were two basic families between the following cartidges: 243, 22-250, 250 savage, 308 win, 7mm08.

Well finally some info on this caliber. I just had one built and getting ready to go to range. I was told to try R22 and R25. Are most of your rifles with a standard neck or tight neck where you turn them. I hope I don't regret not getting a tight neck. I am using a redding bushing of .254 Are you jamming the 80gr SMK's?? Thanks

t

Thanks cinch, Sounds like yours likes what its getting. I will try the amax's later. The guys around here just said get a box of SMK's.

In answer to the question of loading the 22 Middlested (22/243), are we to assume that everyone is shooting a fast twist rifle? In the event someone may be interested, I will add that I've a 14 twist 27 inch Lilja barrel and am shooting the 50 and 52 grain bullets between 4200 and 4225'/sec. A great powder for this is Reloder 15, but I'm interested in shooting this outfit during varying fall and winter tempeatures of 40 to -10 degrees. Regardless of what Alliant indicates, this powder IS affected by temperature swings. Therefore H4350 is gettin' 'er done for me.

[ QUOTE ]
All of my comments were on a 22-243 Winchester, not a Middlestead.

[/ QUOTE ]
What is the differance between these 2 I always thought they were the same

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts