22-243 Middlestead Case Making

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by wirelessguy, Nov 27, 2009.

1. wirelessguy

wirelessguy New Member

I have bit the bullet and am having my M700 rebarreled to 22-243 Middlestead.

However, I have never had to do fireforming, etc. Can anybody explain the process for this cartridge and what I will need in terms of dies, etc?

2. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and just chamber to 22-243 (plain) no fireforming of any kind. Just take a Lapua 243 case and neck it down and you're done. I really don't see the advantage of the Middlestead. I've owned a 22-243AI and the non-AI version.

Fireforming wastes valuable (and limited) case life in the cartridge.

You didn't mention what barrel twist you were getting but I'd suggest nothing slower than an 8 twist. You really can't get the full potential out of this cartridge without using one of the heavy, high BC bullets which require a fast twist barrel. You could shoot 52-55gr bullets out of the fast twist if you wanted to but you can't shoot the heavy bullets out of a slow twist.

3. mikebob

mikebob Well-Known Member

+1 with VH

just go plain 22-243 with fast twist and 80 or 90gr bullets.

4. wirelessguy

wirelessguy New Member

Thanks for opinions. I have agonizing about doing that. I've sent a e-mail to PacNor to just chamber for the regular 22-243. I doubt they have gotten to my barrel yet.

5. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

As popular as this round has become does anyone know of anyone that has a fire forming rig setup to just form brass?

I would think someone out there has this setup and would be interested in selling some preformed brass.