22-243 Ackley with 100 Wildcat RBBT Tests

reed mosser

I rechambered my old 6.5 twist 22 dasher to a 22-243 ackley. I cut of the threaded section so it shortened the barrel to 26.5 inches and got into some new rifleing. So far fire forming max load is 50 grains of ramshot magnum at 3000 FPS. Full tilt very very max load is 53.0 at 3250 FPS. I think the max FPS in this 26.5 inch barrel is around 3175. I pretty happy with speed im getting in this short barrel. The 22-243 ackley really accels in 30 inch tubes. Im just testing it know trying to get it ready for deer season. Just figured some one might like to know. I keep you up dated with the progress.

Reed, Those early results with the 22/243AI sound encouraging, and I will be particularly interested to hear any further results, as my 224 Clark should be finished by the end of October.

After Kirby's and others experiences at velocities over 3,100 fps with the 100 & 107 grain Wildcats, I am particularly interested to hear if all your bullets reached the target. Also what barrel are you using and how many grooves has it got? Regards, Brian.

What barrel are you using on that rifle? I am surpised you are getting 3250 fps with that bullet and still keeping them together but that is very good news. I know the 1-7 Lilja barrels are tearing them apart at anything over 3100 fps but a thin land width 6 groove may show alot more velocity potential. That would be great as I can drive those little pills to 3450 in a 26" barrel in my 224 AM but they only work for bird shot loads!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just curious what barrel you are using, may have to get one in and try it. I would guess a Krieger??

Let me know. There may be life yet for the 224 AM!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, why don't you try some GS customs in that thing? he makes a 60 gr that's almost an inch long. might be an interesting experiment.could shoot em 1000-1200 fps faster,throat wouldn't wear as fast.would be interesting!

Kirby this won't help you much but the barrel is a pac-nor three groove. I'm not really impressed with this barrel, though it does clean up very well. I will say that it does have a pretty smooth bore. I don't reccmond anyone to buy a pac-nor. Sent the last barrel back twice and still haven't recieved the new one yet. Did you try any 90 grain sierra's in your 22 wsm. Sierra's are tough it might be worth a try.

Shot the gun again tonight and got 3300 fps to my suprise with 50.0 grains of Retumbo. Retumbo showed less pressure than ramshot magnum and got more velcioty with less powder. I just can't figure Retumbo is supposed to be a slower burning powder. As far as B.C I really don't know. I put in .525 to match my drop to a 1000 yards at 3000 FPS. But maybe my zero changed from home range to the shoot so I really can't say. I didn't lose any bullets tonight at 3300 FPS but accuracy stinks so far. If the wildcats won't shoot at 3100 fps and above I may just have to rechamber the barrel back to a 22 dasher and shoot the 100's at 3000 FPS with 35 grains of Hunter.

Wow if they dont shoot and you end up cutting and setting back the barrel your down to 24" or less ?
Good luck to you I hope you get um to shoot..

I'll be down around 24 inches but I don't think I lose much speed with the dasher. The dasher is just a 22 br improved with 40 degree shoulder. Thanks Reed

Dave Wilson,

I have not tried the GS but I have tested the 70 gr TSX and there just is not enough bullet weight to make this case volume work with the correct burn rate powders.

I am sure I could use some quicker burning powders and make things work but then I may just as well drop back to my 22-6mm AI chambering.

I may give the 90 gr SMKs a try but I doubt they will handle the 1-7 3 groove Lilja any better but they may??? I had not thought of that one yet. I heard they were designed for 223 Rem velocities so did not imagine they would have a chance.

We will see.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, I am thinking you will need at least a 6.5 twist for that 90. That is what the Hi Power guys are experiencing, anyway. It seems most have found the 90's aren't worth the time and effort. That little .223 case appears maxed out w/ the 80's. Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.