210gr bullets in a .308

milanuk

Hello,

I've got another .308 in the works... 1-11.25" twist, 26" Rock barrel. I picked that twist intending to work primarily w/ 175-190gr bullets... but now I'm contemplating some 210gr bullets (when/if the gun ever gets done). I know the twist rate 'rules' aren't always hard-n-fast... I've shot 155's out of a 1-10" w/ great accuracy, and I've heard of people pushing 175's and even 190's out of 13 twist barrels. Ideally I would have picked a 1-10" for those 210gr bullets. The question is, are they likely to stabilize in a 11.25 twist, or not. If not... I'm sure the 175-190's will work just fine.

Anybody out there shot 210gr bullets out of their .308 recently? What kind of MV were you getting?

Thanks,

Monte

I have a 1-11 twist Obermeyer that shoot them fine but its chambered in 300 Winmag , I have a 308 with a 1-12 twsit Hart that won't shoot them , they start to keyhole at 200yds so I'm guessing that its right on the cusp of stabilizing. I'm at sea level and the air is think enough to cut it so who knows where you are.

I'd call Mike Rock and ask him and unless you have got the barrel in your hands he will probably let you swap it out for a 1-10 for little or no cost as that particular barrel desgine is very popular.

JD,

The barrel, a 26" fluted M24 contour is already sitting down @ the gunsmith's shop (R&D Precision) waiting on the Stiller TAC/30 action to get there.

Eaglet,

I asked another site besides here (tried a couple different venues I thought might use this combo)... the gist of the response there was some people had used it out of 11 & 12 twist tubes, about 43-44gr RE-15 w/ a couple different kinds of brass, one guy using moly coated bullets, etc. I'm planning on using Lapua brass (600pcs sitting here waiting for me to finish case prep), so I'll have a little less case capacity, and I don't plan on using moly if I can help it. I'll probably start at 40 or 41gr RE-15 and work from there. Whenever the gun gets done and here, that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks,

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.