2017 SHOT Show: It's a buyer's market!

RobStar

You'd think the changes in Washington would mean great news for the firearms industry and the overall long term prognosis is great.

HOWEVER, what I'm hearing around SHOT Show is that pre-election day panic buying by dealers anticipating a Clinton win and the surprise Trump win has left a lot of them with more inventory than demand... a LOT more inventory!

The result is many of the manufacturers at the show are seeing dismal orders. For instance one well known long range rifle company I talked to told me yesterday that by the second day they'd normally have $2 million of orders for 2017 and so far they only had a little over $20,000. I heard similar stories all around and a lot about dealers who over-ordered and now don't have the sales to support it and pay the bills.

I saw one list yesterday being circulated around by a dealer who has over $3m in inventory and is offering it up for $1.5m and is likely to have to go lower. He was to the point of accepting below cost individual item sales off his list. On the upside to this, a new retail range operation one of my friends is starting up is benefiting by buying up access inventory cheaper than he could buy direct for new product. He projects he'll save close to $1m in his start up costs.

This isn't all doom and gloom at all as it will benefit us, the individual gun purchasers with lower prices and more availability...hopefully.

From what I can discern, handguns and the AR platforms are most affected. I think we'll certainly see a lot of the zillion new AR manufacturers go to the wayside who have popped up to fill the crazy demand. It will be a market adjustment to the supply and demand.

~Robert

Not sure I appreciate the undocumented hear say. Not that you are not telling the truth, but let's hope that is not the case.

Let's give it some time and maybe let Len and Andy report on the state of the industry when they return from shot show.

Many of the exhibitors, most of the long range exhibitors and most AR makers there are US manufacturers that need our support and our $ to grow the industry. What for us looks like a great deal may be someone else's undoing.

I am not alone in rooting for this shot sow to be the best ever, and I look forward to all US manufacturers having the potential to flourish under the new administration.

my .02
SnT

News versions of this are already in the news and trade journals this morning sir straight from SHOT show staff only slightly more candied up but not much. We're all hoping for the best.

Have an amazing day!

~Robert

Nothing creates demand like a fear something may soon be outlawed or unavailable so it's no surprise, neither is the relaxation of demand when those fears prove to be unfounded so this isn't unexpected.

In the long term they'll be fine because in all likelihood with Republicans gaining ground all over the country we'll see even more user friendly firearms laws in states where they don't exist.

A change in the tone of the Federal Courts will also most likely force firearms unfriendly states to become a whole lot more reasonable as well.

I gambled wrong too buying up more powder, primers, and other reloading gear and components that I would have otherwise as well but they won't go to waste. Over time, things should work out fine for everyone who didn't over leverage themselves or their companies on credit.

Long range rifle and gear I think will still be bringing money, it the in thing right now along with PRS shooting so I'd say those will be solid markets to move to right now. I think you'll see the flood of low end crap that is bought just because it goes bang will die of as will poorer quality products, people will use their gun money looking for quality and sport driven equipment. I think the knock of market has just had its bubble pop, guys will save a little more and buy quality vs just getting their hands on anything that will work right now.

I asked my brother about this, as he is a component manufacturer for the AR industry and had been at SHOT all week. He said he saw nothing of the sort, and that at least on his end the orders are still rolling in. He also said that there are countless new suppressor vendors at the show counting on the new administration getting those laws changed.

I asked my brother about this, as he is a component manufacturer for the AR industry and had been at SHOT all week. He said he saw nothing of the sort, and that at least on his end the orders are still rolling in. He also said that there are countless new suppressor vendors at the show counting on the new administration getting those laws changed.
I for one certainly hope it happens. When it does, I'll be in for a few.

Hmmm.............I may have been talking with the same people the original poster was I as I heard the same news multiple times from different sources.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.