2017 SHOT Show: Day 2 (Jan 18 2017)

ELR Researcher

2017 SHOT Show: Day 2 (Jan 18 2017):

See intro comments/context from the beginning of the Day 1 posts. Today was a very light day, basically a wall-to-wall of the "LE/Mil" areas plus the "New Products" display area. To Day 2:

B&T Industries (the Atlas bipod and Accu-Shot monopod folks) - only thing new is the BT57-QK monopod for AI's AT rifle and ATAICS chassis system; not a drop-in, machining required.

Big Horn - HOT news, after many years saying no need to build a .338 LM bolt face action, the company owner has passed the word, "Develop a .338 LM-capable action." The designer told me that means it WILL go into production. Current thought is 1.450 OD with .750 bolt body. While it could go into production this year, SHOT 2018 looks like the more probable launch event.

Drake Associates - was showing their new long action version of their "Hunter Stalker SOCOM" chassis and rifle, now available in 338 LM, in production now. They will also be offering the associated action and barreled action - $1000 for the action, add $200 for an integrated 20 MOA rail.

IOR/Valdada - announced another variant of their FFP scope line, the 9-36x56 "Patriot"; Mil or MOA reticles; pics and info at 9-36x56 40mm FFP MIL/MIL Tactical scope, MP-8 Dot Mod ilum.

Jard - was advised that their older J50 semi-auto .50 BMG rifle has been retired, the J51 improved version replaces it. They were also showing one of their J70 open-top "modern rifles" - available in .338 LM and the action (Rem 700 clone footprint) is available stand alone for $750. It has the large Savage tenon thread (1 1/16-20) but will not accept Savage pre-fit barrels because of it has a 45 degree cone bolt nose..This product needs to be reviewed and the word gotten out - American made, supports up to .338 LM, and $750. J70 rifle and action pics and info are at JARD J70 - the .338 LM info is not yet there but the pricing is. BTW, the J70 chassis is also available stand alone, see JARD Bolt Action Chassis

Operators Suppressor Systems/OSS - was showing their Helix HX Mag suppressor in .338 LM; they also have a .50 cal in development, timing TBD.

Small Arms Technologies - had one of their .50 BMG suppressors in the New Products area. Pics and info at https://www.smallarmstechnologies.com/rifle-2

NN (nothing new) - Badger Ordnance, Elite Iron, GAP, Gemtech, Griffin, Kinetic/KRG, Oakwood Controls, Raug Ammotec, Safety Harbor, Serbu, Silencer Co, and Tangent Theta.

The show is local for me and I've enjoyed two great days so far but not so much for my feet!

Bought (for later) a show model of a new Defiance Deviant short action for my special 6.5 hybrid hunting/PRS project. Found the Manners stock to go with it too. ;-)

Spent some time in the Falkor booth today talking about working with them on their new ad campaigns and seeing their new rifles, had lunch with Proof Research guys yesterday and with the producer of an outdoor TV show today. Sat with Kristy Titus today about her new show / channel and some ideas about doing an episode here.

Stopped by the Sig Sauer booth expecting something going about the new Kilo 2400 but it was just sitting on the shelf like all the rest. I already own one but wanted to ask some questions. No one there knew anything about it.

I met Wayne LaPierre (NRA) while he was walking the aisles and chatted with him a bit. He had four massive body guards with him but he was super friendly and very approachable.

Visited LabRadar for more info on their new app coming out April. Bluetooth is already built into all units and will be activated with the new firmware and app.

The general buzz around the show and feeling of people I talked to is they feel like the giant bullseye target has been taken off the industry and business.

Spent some time at Berger and have a dozen each of their VLD in both 6.5 and 7mm to test out in anticipation for my 2017 hunting season. I used 7mm ELD-X for 2016.

Got a cool photo (see below) in the NRA show museum of the Chris Kyle replica rifle used in the American Sniper movie.

Otherwise I hit all the major brands and dodged all the people with "roller crates" in the aisles.

~Robert

Attachments

• IMG_6830.jpg
    IMG_6830.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 20
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.