2017 LRH Group Hunt For Elk with Non-Typical Outfitters

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
LRH Group Hunt for elk in the western Wyoming mountains in 2017. We have hunted elk with Non-Typical Outfitters 4 times including in 2015.

The following is what I wrote a couple years ago:

"Ten days ago I returned from the mountains of western Wyoming. There I spent two giddy days on horse and foot scouting for elk with Non-Typical Outfitters' Robb Wiley and three of his guides. For me this was a preview of our upcoming *October, 2014 LRH GROUP ELK HUNT.

The first morning we saw 25 bulls. Twenty-two of the twenty-five were 5's and 6's and the rest were 3 or 4 point. Incredible. We went to a different area the second morning and even though it was raining with poor visibility we saw 12 more there.

Pre-season scouting is a huge factor in the success of NTO in hunting for big bucks and bulls. I felt very privileged to "look under the hood" and see just how they do it."

- Len Backus -​
================================

We have had great results! In 2014 we had 6 bulls down in the first 3 days of the hunt.

A report on the 2013 hunt is HERE.

A report on the 2014 hunt is HERE.

A report on the 2015 hunt is HERE. There you can read about what a factor weather can be in the success of a hunt.

And HERE is the story of my own hunt in 2015.

A report on the 2016 hunt is HERE.
================================

To reserve for 2017 you must first indicate in the forum thread your commitment to immediately send in a deposit check to the outfitter. Download the booking form HERE, print out and mail to the outfitter. Indicate on the Booking Form that you are signing up for the 2017 LRH Group Elk Hunt.
Bull elk hunt:
  • Hunt cost is $4,495 for two-on-one guiding or one-on one for $1,500 more
  • License cost is $577 (Regular Draw 2016), or $1,057 (Special Draw 2016)
  • Non-Typical Outfitters
  • Total of 8 to 10 hunters in camp for rifle and for archery
  • Bull elk
  • Rifle
  • 85% success rate but even better than that for those in good shape and good shooters
  • Drive-in wall-tent camp
  • Horseback each day
  • High country wilderness (7,000 to 8,000 feet)
  • Long Range friendly outfitter
  • Two-on-one guiding (perfect for shooter/spotter teams)
  • RIFLE - Oct. 27 - Oct. 31, 2017 (a 5 day hunt)
  • Deposit of $1,000 is only requirement until successful draw in 2017
  • Two elk Preference points needed in Regular Draw. One point needed for the more expensive Special Draw. (based on 2014 draw odds) Although ZERO points drew at an 86% rate in 2014 with the Special Draw. CORRECTION: THAT WAS 86% IN 2013 BUT 64% in 2014 SPECIAL DRAW.
  • Wyoming general state wide tag
  • Buy one preference point now HERE -- by September 30, 2016.
  • You snooze, you lose!

Last edited by a moderator:
5 elk points. Hmmmmm. I ain't getting any younger either.
Only 3 hours from where I live.
I've been on the waiting list for deer with Non Typical for 3 years now.

Congrats on the Bulls taken on the 2016 hunt.
I hope to be along for the 2017 group hunt. Sent and e-mail to Non-Typical Outfitters and will be sending a check soon to reserve a spot for the 2017 hunt.
:D

.......5 elk points. Hmmmmm. I ain't getting any younger either.........Only 3 hours from where I live......I've been on the waiting list for deer with Non Typical for 3 years now.........

If I ever get younger that's where I'll put my max points. A good crew!

With my recent development in Alaska and being asked to giude my lower 48 hunts will be very limited. I'll just keep compiling points for now

Hey Len. Spoke to Robb this morning and we're going to fill the last 3 spots! I'm bringing my bro-in-law, who's also a member on the site, and my dad to hunt. I'm also bringing my 12 year old son to ride horses and shadow us each day. Sending in the paperwork and deposits this week. We. Are. Pumped!

Not to be the nay sayer but this is a epic winter this year.
6+ feet of snow so far and no end to it in the near future.
The winterkill is sure to be bad this year. Just something to consider.

I hope it doesn't turn out like that! I've been trying to put this trip together for over 20 years!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.