2014 Wyo Antelope

acourvil

This one was taken at 730 yards on Wednesday:

2014_Antelope_1024-blurred.JPG

The group he was in was about 900 yards away when we first saw them, grazing above the far side of a ravine. There was a 10-15 crosswind, so I worked over to the side to reduce the wind effect and set up in a clear area at 730 yards. The antelope was kind enough to stay mostly broadside, turned slightly towards me. and stayed that way all the time I was setting up and deciding whether to shoot.

When the bullet hit him (nearly a full second after I pulled the trigger), he flipped over on his back like he had been hit by a truck. That second of airtime seems a lot longer when you are looking through the scope.

This was maybe 40 miles south of Gillette.

I shot this one with a 200g Barnes LRX out of a 300 win mag. I had a 260 Remington with me as my primary hunt gun, but given the distance and wind I went with the heavier round.

This was maybe 40 miles south of Gillette.

I shot this one with a 200g Barnes LRX out of a 300 win mag. I had a 260 Remington with me as my primary hunt gun, but given the distance and wind I went with the heavier round.

It's always good to have good choices to choose from.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.