2012 Tac 15 has a different scope

schneep

I see the 2012 Tac 15's come with a different scope, a 2 X 7 X 32mm. Is this to increase profit margin or is there some other reason for this?

Anyone care to comment???????????????????

Last edited:
I personally called PSE at 520-884-9065, and was told that the 2011 scope was not intended for crossbows but rather for airguns. I am scratching my head at this, and why promote a product or have dealers promote a product that was not intended for this use. I was told the smaller 2012 scope is more designed for crossbows. That is right I was never told it was for a crossbow, but more designed toward a crossbow. So is it for a airgun, pellet gun, .22, or a crossbow. It seemed so many were happy with the original 3x9x44 why mess with it, unless greed may be playing a roll. The 2012 2x7x33 sure dosen't sound like much of an upgrade. I would hope that PSE would explain the answers to there representatives that handle the phone, because the lady I talked to couldn't stop going in circles. I hope PSE dosen't start veering down the wrong path, but I will now hold out on buying a new Tac 15i.

How's the quality on the new scope ?

I wouldn't get too hung up on the old 3x12 scope. The scope by itself is only ~$130. I have had problems with the battery compartment not contacting the battery and therefor not turning on the illuminator when needed. I finally got a good contact and left it alone without any problems for the last 6 months, but it is poorly engineered in this area.

I do not care for the mil-dots much. For target shooting they may be fine, but in a hunting scenario I found it too cumbersome. I use the HHA speed-dial for elevation.

I will say the old scope does have pretty good light transmission in low light (dawn/dusk).

If I would have to buy a scope for the Tac this is what I think would be great:
  • 3x9 power (It is not unreasonable to take 100yd shots with this xbow)
  • Coated for good light transmission in low light (I like swarovski, Leopold, Nikon for these)
  • Variable intensity Illuminated reticle. Preferably a german style post or dot reticle. Something that does not cover the target.

WildWillie

Hi All,
In the event anybody is interested in the original 3 x 12 x 44 UTG Accushot Scope and Rings, I have one that I'm selling for $60., plus shipping. It is brand new and has never been fired, so it's still in the original box that it was shipped in.

I didn't like the length of the original scope so I purchased the same scope, direct from Accushot, except in their compact version built on a 30mm tube. It's their model: SCP3-UM3 12AOIEW and is about 10" long.

Since installing the compact version I haven't used anything else and am quite satisfied with it's performance, so I have little need for two scopes of the same power.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll be glad to sell it to anybody who's interested.

For what it's worth, I think the new scope is under powered for long range shots at 90 yards or more. With almost 3,000 shots through my crossbow and a good amount of long distance shooting I believe you need at least 8 X at 100 yards. Some owners are now pushing much longer distances with their TAC15's, so the extra magnification comes in handy when needed.

I also understand that Hawke is now producing a very nice 3 x 12 x 44 scope for a very reasonable price.

Regards,

Jon

I personally feel when companies start going with cheaper products to save a dime or two it takes from the overall integrity. If you have a product and come out with cheaper versions, or lesser quality it scares me where other cuts have been made. 3x12 to 2x7 to me seems like a pretty big difference. I hope the quality in the limbs is the same, or a x-bow blowing up in your face to save a dollar could be next. I have talked to what seemed as more intellegent people ordering a extra value meal at the golden arches, than the service staff at PSE. The whole thing is a major turn-off for me, and I am willing to save my hard earned $1,500 until a company that has my best interest in mind provides a quality product without the worries. I would think different if there was good reason for the change, but to call PSE directly and hear the B.S line was unacceptable. This whole thing has me looking at the competition a bit stronger. Just my 2 cents

Not sure what the deal is about the scope change. I purchased my TAC-15i without a scope. Thus, if someone is not happy with the new scope; why not just buy a TAC-1x without a scope and put one of their own choosing on?

Makes me wonder if PSE wants a part of the new Leupold Crossbones scope
market.

In talking with person at PSE they stated they are not in the business to sell scopes, but include them in their "packages" because thats what the dealers want!!!! Yet the dealer I talked too said he was informed that all future shipments would have a different scope (2X7) I can't believe thats what dealers wanted!!

Hi jimmy01,
It's your money, so of coarse the decision is yours in the end, but please keep a couple of basic points in mind before you make that final decision.

The basic PSE TAC15/15i crossbow has been largely unchanged for years now with the exception of redesigning and improving some of the early failing components.

In either case these things should not be your concern since PSE still offers the same original product warranty and they uphold it unconditionally. If you read the threads or speak to anybody who has had a failure or a problem (minor or major) the manufacturer has been outstanding in making sure their customers were satisfied buyers.

PSE is not the manufacturer of these scopes, they simply offer one as part of a package deal, but you can always order your TAC without it and purchase anything else on the market that meets your needs. This is not a reflection of the PSE's quality or commitment to their customers.

Like every good company in the US the cost of producing anything continues to rise each year and I'm sure you and everybody else out there would be very unhappy if those increased costs were being passed on to you in the new prices, so sometimes less important items need to be shaved in order to maintain the pricing of the main crossbow. That's where dealers like Len Backus are head and shoulders above the rest. Len offered you one of the original scopes as an exchange for the new ones, if you were interested in doing business with him.

It doesn't get any better than that no matter where you go or who you do business with!!!

If you believe that there is another manufacturer of a crossbow that can yield similar performance to that of the PSE TAC 15/15i series, then you probably haven't done enough homework yet. There are many articles and threads in the forums that are unlike anything you'll find on any other crossbow. Show me another crossbow that can accurately shoot at distances of over 100 yards and still have enough velocity to pass through a big game animal?

How about a 60 yard shot being to close for arrow grouping because you'll bust up all your arrows???

For the record, TAC15's will not be around forever. With the increase in manufacturing costs and the current low demand, you'll be lucky if PSE continues to produce these amazing crossbows more than another year or two.

Sources close to me have learned that of the two other companies that are making crossbows that are capable of 400+ fps neither can keep their crossbows from falling apart or blowing up, so PSE is still the best game in town for a high performance crossbow at this or any price, so think carefully before making your decision.

Regards,

Jon

Last edited:
Hi jimmy01,
It's your money, so of coarse the decision is yours in the end, but please keep a couple of basic points in mind before you make that final decision.

The basic PSE TAC15/15i crossbow has been largely unchanged for years now with the exception of redesigning and improving some of the early failing components.

In either case these things should not be your concern since PSE still offers the same original product warranty and they uphold it unconditionally. If you read the threads or speak to anybody who has had a failure or a problem (minor or major) the manufacturer has been outstanding in making sure their customers were satisfied buyers.

PSE is not the manufacturer of these scopes, they simply offer one as part of a package deal, but you can always order your TAC without it and purchase anything else on the market that meets your needs. This is not a reflection of the PSE's quality or commitment to their customers.

Like every good company in the US the cost of producing anything continues to rise each year and I'm sure you and everybody else out there would be very unhappy if those increased costs were being passed on to you in the new prices, so sometimes less important items need to be shaved in order to maintain the pricing of the main crossbow. That's where dealers like Len Backus are head and shoulders above the rest. Len offered you one of the original scopes as an exchange for the new ones, if you were interested in doing business with him.

It doesn't get any better than that no matter where you go or who you do business with!!!

If you believe that there is another manufacturer of a crossbow that can yield similar performance to that of the PSE TAC 15/15i series, then you probably haven't done enough homework yet. There are many articles and threads in the forums that are unlike anything you'll find on any other crossbow. Show me another crossbow that can accurately shoot at distances of over 100 yards and still have enough velocity to pass through a big game animal?

How about a 60 yard shot being to close for arrow grouping because you'll bust up all your arrows???

For the record, TAC15's will not be around forever. With the increase in manufacturing costs and the current low demand, you'll be lucky if PSE continues to produce these amazing crossbows more than another year or two.

Sources close to me have learned that of the two other companies that are making crossbows that are capable of 400+ fps neither can keep their crossbows from falling apart or blowing up, so PSE is still the best game in town for a high performance crossbow at this or any price, so think carefully before making your decision.

Regards,

Jon

JonHenry,
I appreciate your time and expertise information. I truely believe that you are one of the top guy's to take information from and look at all the main points. I have shot the tac 15i, and have killed 6 deer this year with my buddy's tac in 2 states. It is a nice x-bow, but is it $1500 nice with all the other options out there? I personally feel that as a consumer we are paying an extra $600-$700 for the over 400 F.P.S advertisement. There is alot of bows in that 350-385 F.P.S range that people love and say are making long range shots for alot less money. Dodge,Chevy,Gmc, there is always going to be controversy what is better and I understand that. We all have our favorites, but the one thing you stated that has me changing what I buy is the fact that you said P.S.E may only make the bow for another year or two. I have experienced that replacement parts cost go through the roof, Warranty work is drug out longer, and it is harder to find parts at certian point and time. I certainly can't afford to spend $1500 on a x-bow and not have it for several years. I am not one of those guy's who will be able to replace it whenever I want. I have saved for 2 years and still have a ways to go. I am saving for the best bow that I can find for I am disabled and I can't just work a little overtime and buy a new one if models are discontinued. They say marriage, and buying a house are the biggest decisions you will ever make, but I feel buying a X-bow is.

Hi jimmy01,
If you've already tried the TAC 15, then only you can determine if it's worth the $1,500. that is being charged. Depending on the type and severity of your individual disability is also another key factor. I've read many threads from disabled hunters who have stated they are unable to load or handle certain crossbows, so for them one particular brand or type matters a great deal because they can't load or unload any of the others.

I'm not going to pretend that the cost that PSE charges is not extremely high. That kind of cash doesn't grow on trees, so it's very important to make sure you get exactly what you want when making the purchase decision. I do know that many of us who own these crossbows are either retired or have many other financial obligations, so the purchases are often considered "once in a lifetime" type purchases. It's for this very reason that everybody expects to get the utmost accuracy and durability out of their crossbows, but in as much as we try there are no absolute guarantees, so we rely on what is provided by the manufacturer from a warranty stand point, to a certain extent.

A great deal of the work and documentation that's been performed by myself, Super 91, Okiebowie, Buzzard Bait, author and numerous other members of this form has been an effort to provide more information than had ever been published in an effort to improve the owners knowledge and thereby improve the owner experience of accuracy and reliability.

Buying a good crossbow is only partially about what it is when you get it because many times it's also about what it can become with a little TLC and a bit of customizing. The TAC15 series crossbows are good out of the box, but they can evolve into something great with some additional changes. I can't say that others can or can't do this because I don't have enough first hand knowledge about the rest of the field of crossbows to know this for a fact.

You've asked us for some information about the TAC series crossbows and I hope we've given you enough information to help with your decision process. I know you'd like to hear nothing but rave reviews, but let's face it, that wouldn't be completely honest no matter who you heard it from. Every manufacturer of a product likes to keep the negative aspects and failures under the covers, so it doesn't affect their sales numbers. I'm sure PSE is no different, but that's the benefit of a website like this one. We don't soft sell anything about this crossbow. We've been very open about highlighting its good points and addressing any negatives it might have.

For the record, the reason I stated that in my opinion the TAC15/15i's may not be around much longer is because if you study the demographics of crossbow sales you'd notice that there aren't that many high priced crossbows sold each year. PSE was not the first maker of a 400+ fps crossbow. Bowtech made the Stryker a few years, but pulled it from their manufacturing line because it was considered a failed product because they couldn't sell enough of them to make it worth their effort to continue to produce them. They were in a similar price and performance range as the TAC15i.

It appears that the vast majority of crossbows sold in the United States are priced between $350 and about $800 and that accounts for over 80% of all crossbows sold. At the price points the TAC15's sell for they are targeted to only the top 10% of the market and there is competition amongst 3 or 4 makers for that 10% bracket.

With that said and the technology rapidly advancing how long would you guess that any of the top makers will continue producing the high end units?

From a pure engineering standpoint some of us are aware the technology and design work already exists to produce a crossbow that is capable of shooting at 500 fps. but only a few people could afford to touch it, so it stands to reason the big manufacturers are going to focus on the sweet spot in the market and they may or may not continue producing the high end products for any length of time.

Regards,

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.