2012 Colorado 6x6

Brentc - That is impressive that you have recovered some of your 270 grain .375 TSXs. Just this season my buddy that shot a 5x6 the day after me recovered his .338 210 TTSX from his bull (the first TSX I have ever seen recovered). It was his 2nd shot from 430 yards, hit some oak branches before the elk, traveled nearly the entire length of the elk before stopping under the skin on the far side. Barnes really makes some amazingly durable bullets.

I was quite surprised to find it as well. I've put dozens of them through bears, but this is the only one I've found. As stated earlier, it started as a 270 grain bullet. I'd say it retained it's weight pretty well after going through the bones and muscles of a black bear shoulder.

IMG_0569.jpg

I was quite surprised to find it as well. I've put dozens of them through bears, but this is the only one I've found. As stated earlier, it started as a 270 grain bullet. I'd say it retained it's weight pretty well after going through the bones and muscles of a black bear shoulder.

That's an awesome pic, thanks for sharing it. And talk about perfect expansion.

I was happy when I found the blue tip from my TTSX in the front shoulder entrance hole of my bull... I guess I'll just have to keep shooting animals until I find one. gun)

Great OTC bull. What Unit were hunting. I did Unit 2 archery this year. My Long range shot was 15 yards.

Great OTC bull. What Unit were hunting. I did Unit 2 archery this year. My Long range shot was 15 yards.

Unit 41.

Congrats on 15 yards... it's tough getting that close. Were you hunting on the OTC either sex tag? What did you end up shooting?

IMG_0569.jpg
The .2 grains that are missing were probably left in the barrel, based on what ive been hearing from all the people are saying about how much they foul. :D gun)

Unit 2 is a limited entry. It took me 21 years to draw that tag. I took a pretty nice bull the problem is that I had no bood trail and was not able to locate the bull. Fellow hunters found him in deep brush the following week. About a 325 bull. No staeks but at least I have the Rack.

haha, thanks. ya, i know, the pants. Maybe how I spend my time when I"m not hunting will explain the pants... during the summer I compete in IM triathlons (google it if you've never heard of it). You spend that much time exercising and it's strictly function over form. Hunting pants are great for hunting but once it's time to pack elk the athletic gear comes out!

If anybody has hiked or run dozens of miles in comfortable hunting pants I would like to know about them. I figure that some of the under armour hunting pants or maybe Sitka pants might work pretty good, but not only is it really spendy, they don't make it for tall people... and probably no better than what I already have... So I'll probably just stick with my $25 Adidas warm ups!:D

Timber338; So I'll probably just stick with my $25 Adidas warm ups!:D[/QUOTE said:
Great write up and pix. I appreciate you sharing, as we got skunked last year and decided to turn back the tags this year (weather did NOT cooperate and not spending 15 points on a camping trip).

RE: PANTS- Nothing wrong w/ dancing w/ who ya brung! Speaking of which, I see you travel w/ a side arm. That a S&W? Caliber? Got bear problems in 41 do ya?

lol..I've hunted CO for 16 year near Craig. Saw ONE black bear once in 2001, long way off. 2008, change of scenery, went to unit 65 near Court House mtn. All of our party came in close contact w/ bears. One ran myself and my son off the mountain one night and a momma bear cleared Don and Scott off the other side the next day! Come to find out, this is the area where DOW brings the problem bears they've captured around Aspen/Snowmass. No one had a side arm. We do now!

Great hunt, and congrats on a well deserved bull. Thanks again.

Speaking of which, I see you travel w/ a side arm. That a S&W? Caliber? Got bear problems in 41 do ya?

Lots of bears in the basin we hunt. This year a bear dragged all of our quarters and backstraps through the forest on Sunday night... luckily found them all with a little searching. Not as lucky in 2010... bear ate over half of one of our bulls. Have bumped into them several times on the trails at night and out hunting.

My handgun is a 44 mag Ruger Redhawk with a 5.5" barrel. Great gun. If I have enough time to practice more with it I would love to shoot a bear with it next year!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.