2011 SD antelope

188MULE

Tough trophy hunting in SD the last couple of years. Very few older bucks around in the unit I hunt. This one was by far the biggest we came across in four days of hard hunting and glassing. 400 yards with my 6.5x.284 and a 140 grain Amax. Gross 73" 14 7/8 and 14 5/8".Great buck and a fun hunt.
sd goats 018.jpg

Nothing wrong with that 'lope, Good shooting too! Got some friends that hunt in Harding county,
same story. Hoping for a mild winter, the critters could sure use a break

Capt, If I remember correctly you were having Nate at SSG build you a rifle. Have you recieved it yet?

I hunt the north half of Meade county and yea they need a break. I've shot one that grossed 84 1/2" and a 81". I was seeing plenty in the 75" range until the last two years, now they are gone. The problem with that is if all you are seeing is 8-10" no older than 2 years old its really difficult to find one mature buck. The first year we hunted SD we saw one that I now was no less than 88" but our buck tags were filled.

We've got a goat or two here in Wyoming and that is one nice buck! Congratulations, you and that SSG 6.5x284 have done very well this season.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.