2011 Montana Elk Hunt!

matt_3479

my dads sister just started dating a new guy and little did we know, he lives in Colorado and loves to hunt. As interested as we are to meet this guy my dad decided to email him to find out more about him in hope to possibly get invited to his place to hunt. As they got talking we found out he has some money and owns a monstrous ranch in Montana which is closer to us and we got invited to hunt there with him this up coming season. hopefully they stay together long enough we become good friends with him.

What we decided on was that i think elk would be the most fun to go after, since deer here in Ontario aren't hard to get tags for and elk dont have a season in Ontario. I was wondering how easy is it to get a tag, what are my chances? what are somethings to expect?

I think that for you and your dad its like your sister hit the lottery and you get the fringe benefits.:D
For non - res the draw should be better than 50% now that the outfitter pool is gone. I'm not sure what landowner situation is but it may make it even better.

Yep, with outfitter pool gone in MT, there should be more tags available for the non-outfitter hunting elk hunter. I got drawn the 'standard' 1 year out of 2 several years ago, so like DanMan said, should be better than that now. Outfitters aren't real happy, but they were doing a lot of deals to sew up private land, that now is more likely to come into MT's public block management program and be more available to the public to hunt.

Your odds of drawing ar great for 2011,better then they have been for years.You need to determine the location of the ranch,if its in a LE area you have to apply for tha area AFTER you draw a general tag,if you draw the general tag and are unsuccsesful for the LE draw you are stuck with the tag.

DOES he have elk on his ranch? I hunt a place that is 48,000 acres,but no elk:)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.